Question about cores
Hi, not a programmer but i wondered if a future version would be able to interface directly with the graphics card (GPU) instead of doing things on the CPU?

GPUs are getting less expensive and more powerful; i would guess that a 2GB graphics card could pick up >50% of the rendering by itself. Leaving the other 50% to the CPU.

Sponsored links

I don't get it.. if you use upscaling your gpu is already under heavy load isn't it?
CPU: AMD Phenom ii x4 955 @ 3.4Ghz
GPU: MSI GTX 560-Ti Hawk
RAM: Kingston ValueRam 4GB 1333 @ 1600
PSU: XFX PRO550W

(01-08-2014, 05:15 PM)dutch_coffee Wrote: I don't get it.. if you use upscaling your gpu is already under heavy load isn't it?
Whut?[/i]

A forked version of the emulator written to run on the Nvidia Geforce GTX 690, exclusively, would pretty much smoke two i7-core cpus. Hell, it would smoke four i7-core cpus.
That is a false fact. GPU's are only good at mass parallel processing, meaning they need to be doing the same calculation millions of times a second to be efficient, Emulators do not do this at all, so GPU processing would actually work out much slower than using a CPU.

However the graphics drawing is all currently done on your GPU using directx, the cpu does none of this.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

So what's the chance a fork is made to offload processing to the GPU?
How much of a challenge would that be to the programmers?
There is zero chance, because we all know as programmers that the emulator would run slower than it does now.

At one time we thought about putting the VU's on to the GPU as they are slightly similar in function, but decided it would still be slower, even then.

Did you read anything refraction wrote? It would be pointless.
(01-08-2014, 06:16 PM)metalmallow Wrote: Did you read anything refraction wrote? It would be pointless.
A programmer might enjoy the challenge and learn something??
(01-08-2014, 06:40 PM)Roger Triton Wrote: A programmer might enjoy the challenge and learn something??

Then why don't you learn programming and try it for yourself, it will be a nice challenge Biggrin
Lenovo Y50-70 Gaming Laptop
Intel Core i7-4720HQ @ 2.6Ghz - 3.6Ghz Quad Core
Nvidia GTX 960M 4GB
8GB DDR3 Ram
15.6'' Full HD 1920 x 1080 IPS
Windows 10 64 Bit
---
Intel Core i5 4670 @ 3.4Ghz
Gigabyte H81M
Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB
8GB DDR 3 Ram
1TB WD Black
Windows 10 64 Bit
Phillips 23.6" 1920x1080 IPS
If you want a challenge at something completely pointless, you go for it Smile

Us actual programmers will stick with challenges with reasonable rewards at the end Wink