Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about my psu
Well just wondering if i really need to buy a new psu,beacuse everything seems find,altought there are some problems,one of them is the fact that i cant overclock my gpu any other clock change causes the games to either hang up,or slow down instead of speed up games.My current gpu temps are 40º idle,and 50-55º in games.About the cpu is like 33º idle 50º max in games,my current psu is of 250w and im looking foward to buy a 400w one,but my question is if really should buy it or it will be a waste of money.
[Image: 2ymccqu.jpg]
[Image: 17715.png]

Sponsored links

The temperatures are relatively good but you should install some coolers in your case if you haven't (50-55 is a pretty high temp)
you should buy a bigger one 250w is very small but i don't guarantee that you will be able to overclock your GPU after you buy a bigger psu (it could be that your GPU isn't overclock-able)

L.E: ok according to your profile you have a gt240 which should be overclockable,
and that and your core 2 duo already suck up all power from your psu so you should buy a bigger one

ok thanks for your help,but is 50-55º a high temp for the gpu?? hmm strange,my older gfx card was like 70-75 idle and 85-90 when playing games (it was an nvidia 7300gs),and guess what it doesnt fry ^^
Nope up to 60C under full load for GPUs is low actually. Even 70C under load is fine, but that's about the max you should get if you plan on playing games for prolonged periods of time.

I'd really get a new, high quality PSU if I were you. PSUs and motherboards are the 2 parts no one should try saving money on, mainly because if they die they could take the rest of your system with them. Especially an old, pushed to the max PSU.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
It depends on the cards, some are meant to run at low temps some not so much. My favorite for this was an EVGA 7600gt which was supposed to be ok at 70ºc idle and 95ºc full load.

The problem with not being able to overclock is common for some new cards, probably need a BIOS update or smt.

Upgrading the PSU doesn't bring benefits at once, it may seem fine now and it's usually the case when there's not much power load but at some point it may be on the max it can do and it can die and take your PC components with it (not usual tho :P) so having more than needed is recommended.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
@ bositman ; Shadow Lady

Thanks for your responses,it seems that i will have to buy a new one anyway.And about the graphics card overclock,it seems strange,beacuse i can actually raise the memory clock without problems,but when i raise the core clock or the shader clock i will get either a black screen,or a "nvidia 196.34 has stopped working but it was recovered" or something like that,very strange.I was thinking that it happens maybe beacuse the psu dont have enough power to give it to the gpu maybe
(02-16-2010, 08:11 PM)diegochiha Wrote: @ bositman ; Shadow Lady

Thanks for your responses,it seems that i will have to buy a new one anyway.And about the graphics card overclock,it seems strange,beacuse i can actually raise the memory clock without problems,but when i raise the core clock or the shader clock i will get either a black screen,or a "nvidia 196.34 has stopped working but it was recovered" or something like that,very strange.I was thinking that it happens maybe beacuse the psu dont have enough power to give it to the gpu maybe
That means the clock is not stable. You're not changing the voltage, so if the card runs with the current psu, it will run with a higher clock.

How do you overclock your card anyway?
AMD Athlon II 245 @ 3.55ghz, 9600GT @730mhz 1115mhz, vista sp2 32bit
@ CKL

Im using msi afterburner program