Question about shortcuts
Is it possible to create a shortcut that loads an .iso directly through PCSX2?
What I mean is, if I were to open said shortcut, PCSX2 would boot the .iso automatically, without manual input.
It's not like I'm lazy or anything it just struck me, I know there are a few ways to use the path but I have no idea how it would work with PCSX2.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored links

One way is creating a shortcut with a command line forcing PCSX2 to open the wanted ISO
Another way is to associating PCSX2 to every .iso file.

The first method is manual, you need to perform it for every game and if starting the GUI is too much work... well...

The second makes every ISO to try and be opened by PCSX2 if clicked on, this does not prevent another program to open it specifically, affects only which program is the default to open it directly when clicked.

Both methods have PROs and CONs.

Notice that changing the .iso default program does not depend on shortcuts, it is direct.
Imagination is where we are truly real
I have a PCSX2 shortcut on my desktop and then I drag and drop the iso. It boots and runs the game.
AMD Phenom II X4 975 BE OC 4.0 GHz, Corsair Hydro H70
AMD Radeon HD 6990 OC, Accelero Twin Turbo
ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX
OCZ Revodrive 3 X2 240 Gb
16 Gb G.Skill 1833 MHz

23 PS2's
(01-11-2013, 08:38 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: One way is creating a shortcut with a command line forcing PCSX2 to open the wanted ISO
Another way is to associating PCSX2 to every .iso file.

The first method is manual, you need to perform it for every game and if starting the GUI is too much work... well...

The second makes every ISO to try and be opened by PCSX2 if clicked on, this does not prevent another program to open it specifically, affects only which program is the default to open it directly when clicked.

Both methods have PROs and CONs.

Notice that changing the .iso default program does not depend on shortcuts, it is direct.

Is there a way to make just a single .iso be associated with PCSX2?
I doubt it.

Shortcut creation would be a nice feature to add to PCSX2 at some point in the future. Something like what Steam does, where it creates a URL shortcut on the desktop with a suitable icon which you can double click to run the game.

Here's what I'd do, create a file, call it 'loadgame.bat', and put this inside:
Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\PCSX2 1.0.0\pcsx2-r5350.exe" --fullscreen --nogui "game file.iso"

Change the filepath to your installation of PCSX2 if needed. You could also remove the "--fullscreen -nogui" parts if you wanted too.

Then copy and paste it into the folders you have each of your games in (I assume you have each game in it's own separate folder for neatness). Edit each one, rename the bat file to match the name of the game and edit the file's insides to change the last part to the name of whatever the iso file is.

So that you end up with a folder structure like this:
Code:
PS2 Games/
   Game1/
      Game1.iso
      Game1.bat
   Game2/
      Game2.img
      Game2.bat

Or possibly like this:
Code:
PS2 Games/
      Game1.iso
      Game1.bat
      Game2.img
      Game2.bat

Then for each game you want a desktop shortcut for, right click the bat file and hit 'Send To -> Desktop (create shortcut)'.

It'll come out like "Game1.bat - Shortcut", so rename each to remove the ".bat - Shortcut", maybe find a nice icon online for the game, and you're golden, nice clean desktop shortcuts to run each game, and to the casual eye it'd look no different from running a normal installed PC game.

You could even take it a step further and use something like Bat To Exe Converter to turn each of those bat files into little .exe files, which could have icons embedded in them, and not show the command prompt, and if you use Steam could even be added to Steam as a Non-Steam game.
A nerd, gamer (PC/PS/Emulators), hobby programmer (Java) learning OpenGL programming (4.2+), and professional 3D artist (Blender). Here to share experiences using PCSX2, report issues, thank the developers for their awesome work and contribute to any technical discussions I have input for.
Add the path to ISO after pcsx2.exe in the target box in the rightclick window of the shortcut e.g.
Code:
C:\PS2\pcsx2.exe "C:\ISO\game.iso"  --fullscreen
Use quotes if there are spaces as shown in the example; remove fullscreen if you don't want it.
I vote for putting a big button occupping half the GUI captioned GO. May not open a game directly yet but is easier than having to navigate till the Boot CDVD fast, remember the GUI is smart enough to remember the last game played.

PS2Freak's way is good also, I'd suggest putting shortcuts to the ISO on the desktop (you can change the icon at heart content) and drag it over PCSX2 shortcut.

Just remember, NEVER put an ISO itself on the Desktop.

PS: Still, I'd rather having the devs working on actual PCS2 development at this point but I do believe user's suggestions are valid also.
Imagination is where we are truly real
(01-12-2013, 06:28 AM)mindinsomnia Wrote: I doubt it.

Shortcut creation would be a nice feature to add to PCSX2 at some point in the future. Something like what Steam does, where it creates a URL shortcut on the desktop with a suitable icon which you can double click to run the game.

Here's what I'd do, create a file, call it 'loadgame.bat', and put this inside:
Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\PCSX2 1.0.0\pcsx2-r5350.exe" --fullscreen --nogui "game file.iso"

Change the filepath to your installation of PCSX2 if needed. You could also remove the "--fullscreen -nogui" parts if you wanted too.

Then copy and paste it into the folders you have each of your games in (I assume you have each game in it's own separate folder for neatness). Edit each one, rename the bat file to match the name of the game and edit the file's insides to change the last part to the name of whatever the iso file is.

So that you end up with a folder structure like this:
Code:
PS2 Games/
   Game1/
      Game1.iso
      Game1.bat
   Game2/
      Game2.img
      Game2.bat

Or possibly like this:
Code:
PS2 Games/
      Game1.iso
      Game1.bat
      Game2.img
      Game2.bat

Then for each game you want a desktop shortcut for, right click the bat file and hit 'Send To -> Desktop (create shortcut)'.

It'll come out like "Game1.bat - Shortcut", so rename each to remove the ".bat - Shortcut", maybe find a nice icon online for the game, and you're golden, nice clean desktop shortcuts to run each game, and to the casual eye it'd look no different from running a normal installed PC game.

You could even take it a step further and use something like Bat To Exe Converter to turn each of those bat files into little .exe files, which could have icons embedded in them, and not show the command prompt, and if you use Steam could even be added to Steam as a Non-Steam game.

Alright, this worked perfectly, thanks a bunch for the help, I did actually want to add it to my Steam library. To be honest this could be a pretty nice feature to the actual program, it would make everything look much neater.
Again, thanks for the help to everybody in the thread, have a nice day guys!
Here's a pic, it works pretty great to be honest.
http://i.imgur.com/GbA70.png