Question about speed (btw. hi everyone)
Welcome,
First of all hi to all pcsx2 community.

I'm new here and I would like to ask about some things. I was using pcsx2 some years ago, but with 12fps (Tongue) It wasnt any fun. Now I have better PC and I download pcsx2 again becouse I think I can play at "normal" speed.

My PC:
Processor:
Core 2 duo 8400 - 3ghz
Graphic card - Radeon 4870
Ram - Patriot 2gb 1066 DDR3
Windows XP Prof - service pack 3

That Is what is most important what I reed in some FAQ.

First game which I took from my collection is Dragon Ball budokai 3, old one but for DB fun like me.. -_^. So, I read about config here but still I am missing something? I got 48-55 fps (sometime go to 34fps). (ingame/battle).

I use this setting:
ZeroGS KOSMOS 0.97.1 (AA4X - only 16X make less FPS, blinear off/interlace off)
Processor settings - EERec ON/GS on/Dual core mode ON/ limit - 60fps
(sound: zeroSPU2 0.4.4) But its not good quality...

I saw on youtube some videos from this game with quite good speed (stable and better).

So my question is that:
Will some changes in configuration or others plugins will make game play more stable and faster, or its what my PC can get from pcsx2. Also I checked that on 0.9.5 and I see a very small speed up. So please if someone could help me Smile I have exams now so I dont have time to test all this setings right now, so I please for help. Smile

P.S.
Sorry for my english becouse I'm not eng native speaker.

Sponsored links

Videos on YouTube are misleading. The videos are composited together from the raw per-frame data exported from the emulator and/or captured using Fraps. The game could have been running 3fps while making the video, and it will still look like it's running 60 fps once it's put together in mpeg form.

Additionally, ATI video cards are notoriously unfriendly to Pcsx2, due to some kind of nasty bottleneck in the texture upload bandwidth. Depending on the game they can get anywhere from roughly the same fps as an Nvidia card to about 1/5th the framerate in extreme cases. Yes, 1/5th. As in the difference between 10fps and 50 fps.

All said and done, I'd say your posted FPS sound about right for your config and plugins. You might have better luck with Gsdx as a graphics plugin. It's quite a bit faster over ZeroGS for many games, and oft times looks better too. But, as always when PS2 emulation is involved, don't expect any miracles. Wink
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
Regardless of how Nivida cards are more suitable, I'm pretty damn sure that a 200+$ card like the Radeon 4870 is more then enough. Hell, if my 40$ 2600 HD Pro can do what's done thus far - I don't think the third best ATi card available is going to be even close to being as bad as that. 1/5 of what I'd figure the 4870 could do is probably still better then my 2600. So don't go out and buy a Nivida card just because ATi isn't the most ideal, now that you've already gotten a good enough card.

Also, your CPU is probably enough for mostly normal speeds anyway.

Yeah, deffinitely switch to one of 1.13 GSdx plugins for graphics. You'll get a huge difference, hopefully.

I used to use Zero and average 40 frames in FFX, then I switched, and now I'm getting mostly full speed in battles.

Also, use 0.9.5 with it. I noticed a great deal of speed ups and removal of errors using it.
I'm in shock... I did what you say Tangerine.

Put 1.13 GSdx... SSE4 - now I got better graphic (the best one) with full speed all the time.
Thats is great. Thanks a lot. I try also my secound game Tenkaichi 3 -> also it plays very good.

Just last question and I would start to work on it.

Interlacing option - what is difference in this one. (tff/bff etc.)
and this two:
Wait vsync
logarithmic Z

That Is all what I need. Again very big thanks for your iformation Smile

Regards
Horizon
(01-03-2009, 03:18 AM)Horizon Wrote: Just last question and I would start to work on it.

Interlacing option - what is difference in this one. (tff/bff etc.)
and this two:
Wait vsync
logarithmic Z

That Is all what I need. Again very big thanks for your iformation Smile

Regards
Horizon
Quick googling about interlacing:
* Weave: Does not really deinterlace at all; takes pairs of fields and puts them together (every other line) to one frame. Guaranteed to have artifacts unless the clip is completely static.
* Field blending: Takes consecutive pairs of fields and blends them together into one frame by averaging pixel values. Usually causes funky ghosting artifacts (since in an interlaced clip, each field is at a temporally separate point). Obviously very blurry since you effectively lose half the spatial resolution as well as half the temporal resolution (blending halves the frame- or fieldrate since every two fields are combined to one frame, so instead of 60 fields/s you get 30 frames/s).
* Bobbing/line doubling: Doubles the height of each field, effectively making each field its own frame. Also shifts the field slightly up or down so the picture won’t appear to jump up and down slightly. Quality depends on the quality of the resizing filter, but like blending it’s blurry since half the vertical resolution is lost in the upscale.
* Motion compensation: Uses, well, motion compensation (like in MPEG video compression) in an attempt to take information from neighboring fields to turn pairs of fields into a frame

bff/tff: bottom/top field first

Some pictures about interlaced images

Basicly some games work better with some interlacing modes. E.g. FFX-2 FMWs work "properly" only with BLEND. Try swapping mode while playing with F5 and check what mode suits best for your game.

wait for vsync:
http://www.d-silence.com/feature.php?id=255

Try toggling "Logarithmic Z" on/off in GSdx's config menu if you get graphical errors. I'm not sure but I think it makes z-axis logarithmic as the name suggests which would mean z-axis scale would become 10^0, 10^1,10^2... instead of 1,2,3,4,5,....

Someone correct me if I made some mistakes Smile