Question about the PS2 emu for PS4
(12-20-2015, 04:16 PM)willkuer Wrote: Would pcsx2 be capable to dump the whole ps2 binaries of a game into x86? I guess thats a legally complex subject but just considering from a technical point of view. Or is the recompiler/JIT too far away from a real compiler to support this? Also if you dumped the binaries.. Can you ever reuse them efficiently?

That's called Ahead-of-time (AOT) compilation. You can actually make an emulator that uses AOT, but it's not really great performance wise compared to JIT like what PCSX2 use - I guess that depends on how optimized it is -, and it takes a while to prepare before you can play a game since it needs to translate everything before hand, the more optimized the output binary, the longer you have to wait. One major problem it has, is when the source system dynamically generates code, don't know if the ps2 does that or not.

Sponsored links

(12-20-2015, 01:14 AM)refraction Wrote: You heard incorrectly.

I've heard the same rumour, but wasn't aware of a refutation.  Could you link your source?
(12-27-2015, 07:12 PM)artifactual Wrote: I've heard the same rumour, but wasn't aware of a refutation.  Could you link your source?

This is what a first party microsoft dev said.

Digital Foundry: The existing Xbox 360 Gears titles come to Xbox One via backwards compatibility - is this essentially the exact same code, or is there any kind of conversion or optimisation process involved?

Mike Rayner: It is essentially the exact same code. The Xbox team converts the 360 game and 360 flash PPC executables into native x64 executables, packages those up with the 360 game assets, 360 flash and emulator as a regular Xbox One game, and publishes it.

Interview here
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digita...te-edition
(12-27-2015, 07:27 PM)dogen Wrote: This is what a first party microsoft dev said.

Digital Foundry: The existing Xbox 360 Gears titles come to Xbox One via backwards compatibility - is this essentially the exact same code, or is there any kind of conversion or optimisation process involved?

Mike Rayner: It is essentially the exact same code. The Xbox team converts the 360 game and 360 flash PPC executables into native x64 executables, packages those up with the 360 game assets, 360 flash and emulator as a regular Xbox One game, and publishes it.

Interview here
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digita...te-edition

Thank you. That confirms the rumour.

I do wish people wouldn't make  authoritative statements when they don't actually know.
They said it is pure emulation:

I guess it differs from game to game, or they changed how it works - at least for the downloadable version -.