Questionable performance
Hello!

I just recently discovered PCSX2 and I'm amazed with it's abilities. I'd like to say good job to the programers for their hard work on this fantastic emulator.

I am have questionable performance on the emulator though. I believe I have a strong enough system but I can't play any games without considerable slow-downs (around 18-37 FPS). Maybe you guys could shed some light on my situation.

I am currently running on my rig:
AMD Athlon X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHZ processor
Nvidia 8600GS (overclocked just a little bit)
3GHZ of ram
Windows 7
PCSX2 0.9.8 (I used the latest revision only to find a bigger slow-down)

My plugins that I am running are the GSDX plugin running DirectX 10 in native resolution with no other options checked. My other plugins are defaults with SPU set to hermite and I disabled effects processing.
I have speed hacks turned on but it does not do a lick of good. EEcyclerate = 2, VU cycle stealing = 2 and everything else is turned on besides the block hack. My VUs are set to SuperVU compiler and clamping is set to none.

Any insight would be much appreciated =)

Sponsored links

Upgrade your rig or accept the slowness in most of games except low demanding games like FFX, Disgaea or other 2D Games.
Notebook ASUS A43TA|CPU AMD Llano APU A6-3400m Triple core (1 core disable) OC to 2.6+Ghz|GPU CF|HD 6520 400Mhz/667Mhz iGPU|HD6650M OC 780Mhz/985Mhz dGPU|RAM 8GB DDR3 1333|Windows 7 Ultimate Sp.1 x64 bit.
>> Emulation speed differs for each game. There will be some you can run fast easily, but others will simply require more powerfull hardware <<.
Actually, your CPU and GPU are both on the weak side.

Speedhacks making no impact is often due to the GPU being the bottleneck.

Name some of the games. That means everything here.
-FFX plays beautifully on my computer
-Jak and Daxter: precursor legacy is slow
-Metal gear solid 3 is slow
-Soul Caliber 3 is unplayable so is Guilt Gear X
-Dragon Quest is playable but slowdowns happen in the over-world and in the first town.
-Katamari Damacy is playable but slowdowns happen in larger areas.
-Kingdom Hearts is playable but slowdowns in Traverse Town and random areas
-Ico is playable but freezes and major graphical glitches
-Shadow of the Colosuss is unplayable

Can I play Gran Turismo 4 on my machine by any chance? (I'm going to guess not)

Almost your games need better cpu and gpu than yours even with magical settings if any doesnt give miracle impact with your cpu+gpu.
Notebook ASUS A43TA|CPU AMD Llano APU A6-3400m Triple core (1 core disable) OC to 2.6+Ghz|GPU CF|HD 6520 400Mhz/667Mhz iGPU|HD6650M OC 780Mhz/985Mhz dGPU|RAM 8GB DDR3 1333|Windows 7 Ultimate Sp.1 x64 bit.
>> Emulation speed differs for each game. There will be some you can run fast easily, but others will simply require more powerfull hardware <<.
GT4 is a system killing game, so afraid not on that one.

Your CPU is based on a 5 year old processing core. Not only is it below the recommended speed (generally 3.5ghz+ with preferably at least 3 cores to take advantage of the new MTVU hack) but it's less efficient than the later Phenom II's and much much less efficient than the latest Intel boards. At the same clocks, the latest Intel Sandybridges probably get 50% better performance in PCSX2.
[Image: 2748844.png]
Okay, time for a system upgrade I guess.

If I were to get a new CPU (preferably AMD) and GPU (preferably Nvidia) that is more bang for my buck because I'm on a budget, what should I look out for?
(10-03-2011, 04:42 AM)Ragincajun Wrote: Okay, time for a system upgrade I guess.

If I were to get a new CPU (preferably AMD) and GPU (preferably Nvidia) that is more bang for my buck because I'm on a budget, what should I look out for?

i would suggest X4 955 BE for cpu and a GT 450 for nvidia (ati's equvilant is a 5770.) both those combined be bout 240-250 dollars. make sure your mobo and psu is up for the job.
CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.5ghz http://valid.canardpc.com/2607863
MOBO: Asrock Z75 Pro 3
RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill RipJaw X 1333mhz DDR3 ram.
GPU : Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 @ 1200/1450 clocks http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/kasmr/

[Image: 57b2818f7d1b5841.png]
I would reccomend an Intel I7 etc. or I5. They will be able to use the SSE4, which will be faster.
[Image: recodersignature2.png]
Indeed, Intels are much quicker processors and we have code in there only intels can take advantage of (for extra speeedz! Tongue)
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]