Questions & Performance issues on good build
Hi

I have couple of questions regarding pcsx2 i'm kind of noob so correct me if i'm doing something worng..

- First of all i'm running decent i5 - 4670k [email protected] with old ati card Radeon 4890 2GB ram

-Ati card is using custom driver crt_emudriver for low resolution gaming i'm on crt tv at 640x480 Smile

- I have followed set up guides with no problems

- have faiirly beefy pc to run the emulator

-Setting are DX10 2X internal resolutin AF 16X and FSAA

- Still i'm getting performance hits at certain games which are maybe not optimized i don't know ?

- Gradius 5 does in fact run 60fps but the backgound scrolling isn't smooth it's just jerky and slow any fix to that ?

- I have tried Gran turisomo 4 and i'm getting 45-50 fps with that setup

-Another one is Shadow of Colossus there i'm at 40-50 fps at open field ?

- Final Fantasy X-2 does run great but the intro movie is garbled and is showing ps2 logo ?? If it's known issue let me know how to fix that ?

-I have tried Ratchet&Clank games they do run in software mode only for accurate emulation and even when i set threads to 4 my cpu utilization is only 40% -60% but the game runs full speed..

-Pcsx2 barely use the cpu normally at 10-20% is it normal is the only bottleneck my card ?

-The emulator does not report i have avx CPU it fails to load the libray even tho i check CPU-Z it is stated i have this capability ??

I have tried a lot more games and they all run full speed and if disable limiter i can achieve almost 120 fps in any game ?

My setiings are correct or not ? I shall be able achieve 60 fps on most games the CPU usage stays low ?? Anyone any suggestions ?

Sponsored links

(04-29-2015, 10:01 AM)wman Wrote: Hi

I have couple of questions regarding pcsx2 i'm kind of noob so correct me if i'm doing something worng..

- First of all i'm running decent i5 - 4670k [email protected] with old ati card Radeon 4890 2GB ram

-Ati card is using custom driver crt_emudriver for low resolution gaming i'm on crt tv at 640x480 Smile

- Still i'm getting performance hits at certain games which are maybe not optimized i don't know ?

- Gradius 5 does in fact run 60fps but the backgound scrolling isn't smooth it's just jerky and slow any fix to that ?

- Final Fantasy X-2 does run great but the intro movie is garbled and is showing ps2 logo ?? If it's known issue let me know how to fix that ?

-I have tried Ratchet&Clank games they do run in software mode only for accurate emulation and even when i set threads to 4 my cpu utilization is only 40% -60% but the game runs full speed..

-Pcsx2 barely use the cpu normally at 10-20% is it normal is the only bottleneck my card ?

-The emulator does not report i have avx CPU it fails to load the libray even tho i check CPU-Z it is stated i have this capability ??

I have tried a lot more games and they all run full speed and if disable limiter i can achieve almost 120 fps in any game ?

My setiings are correct or not ? I shall be able achieve 60 fps on most games the CPU usage stays low ?? Anyone any suggestions ?

Shadow of Colossus is one of the most resource intense games Ive played on pcsx2 your ati card is a bit on the weak side honestly ... Your cpu does supprt AVX and that is odd what OS are you running... and yes your graphics card is a bottleneck which is why your spot on to use avx infact you should have avx2 support
Motherboard: SABERTOOTH 990FX/GEN3 R2.0
CPU: AMD FX-6300 Vishera 6-Core 3.5GHz @ 4.8ghz 1.41 v
GPU: MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V
Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 @ 1866
(04-29-2015, 10:01 AM)wman Wrote: Hi

Can you provide the emulog.text after you try to run gt4, please ?
Check "enable software mode for fmvs" special fix for ffx-2
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
If you play on a 640x480 CRT I would suggest to stay in sw mode all the time...
Thank you guys for the reply

The card is the problem i guess even than it should not be taxed at low resolution ?? I shall have all the bandwitch ready for pcsx2

desertofunknown I'm running Windows 7 64bit still get no avx or avx 2 ?? Says only SSE4.1 or 4.2 ???

jesavelin i'm not sure how to post emulog ? I can't attach any files to this post ?

wiillkuer yeah i know i shall be running in sw mode for accuracy but i'm bit spoiled by the 2X internal resolution and FSAA Smile

Still the CPU usage is low so is pcsx only GPU intensive ???
(04-29-2015, 10:45 AM)wman Wrote: Thank you guys for the reply

The card is the problem i guess even than it should not be taxed at low resolution ?? I shall have all the bandwitch ready for pcsx2

desertofunkwon I'm running Windows 7 64bit still get no avx or avx 2 ?? Says only SSE4.1 or 4.2 ???

jesavelin i'm not sure how to post emulog ? I can't attach any files to this post ?

wiillkuer yeah i know i shall be running in sw mode for accuracy but i'm bit spoiled by the 2X internal resolution and FSAA Smile

Still the CPU usage is low so is pcsx only GPU intensive ???

PCSX2 i both cpu and gpu intensive except for in software mode where then you will need a strong cpu for pretty much anything otherwise in HW mode it depends on the game....who is your motherboard manufacture ? and is this a custom build... I suggest checking for a bios update as well if possible... first time I have heard of this problem
Motherboard: SABERTOOTH 990FX/GEN3 R2.0
CPU: AMD FX-6300 Vishera 6-Core 3.5GHz @ 4.8ghz 1.41 v
GPU: MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V
Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 @ 1866
(04-29-2015, 10:50 AM)desertofunknown Wrote: PCSX2 i both cpu and gpu intensive except for in software mode where then you will need a strong cpu for pretty much anything otherwise in HW mode it depends on the game....who is your motherboard manufacture ? and is this a custom build... I suggest checking for a bios update as well if possible... first time I have heard of this problem

For the motherboad it's ASRock H87 Performance..And yes it's custom build with all the updates installed and latest bios..I just don't understand why it's taxing the system so much when in game EE and GS are around 50% ??? I'm talkin about SOTC when i get in field there's a massive frame drop ? Pity

(04-29-2015, 10:08 AM)jesalvein Wrote: Can you provide the emulog.text after you try to run gt4, please ?
Check "enable software mode for fmvs" special fix for ffx-2

Ok sorry i have figured how to post that log Smile If theres other way of doin it let me know...Gt4 can go up to 120 fps w/o limiter but it dips to 45-50 fps ???

Attached Files
.txt   log.txt (Size: 3,36 KB / Downloads: 174)
(04-29-2015, 11:02 AM)wman Wrote: For the motherboad it's ASRock H87 Performance..And yes it's custom build with all the updates installed and latest bios..I just don't understand why it's taxing the system so much when in game EE and GS are around 50% ??? I'm talkin about SOTC when i get in field there's a massive frame drop ? Pity

Ok sorry i have figured how to post that log Smile If theres other way of doin it let me know...Gt4 can go up to 120 fps w/o limiter but it dips to 45-50 fps ???

In my experience if you get frame drops on a "solid" system with low EE and GS numbers you'll want to tone down the graphics, it's the GPU pushing you down. Why are you running at 2x native on a 480p CRT?
(04-29-2015, 12:44 PM)pablocrossa Wrote: In my experience if you get frame drops on a "solid" system with low EE and GS numbers you'll want to tone down the graphics, it's the GPU pushing you down. Why are you running at 2x native on a 480p CRT?

Ok let me try just native i will report back..For now 2X native just smooths the jaged edges looks better than real thing that's why i'm using it..
I think GT loves the skipdraw hack. Small numbers can stabilize the framerate a lot. But it will also remove some layers. Try it yourself by enabling HW hacks and configure them to set skipdraw to 1 to 5 (incrementing by one). Check how more and more post-processing layers are removed and your fps get better and better.