Questions about Native resolution
alot of people say that native res is the normal ps2 resolution yet it look a lot worse and 2-3x Native looks more like ps2s normal res but why is native so ugly yet its natural ps2 resolution?

Sponsored links

You are probably doing something wrong...when comparing even native resolution and what I get from my PS2,the quality is a lot better on pcsx2.
Also on tv screen,you can't really see the problems
(06-25-2012, 07:28 AM)vsub Wrote: You are probably doing something wrong...when comparing even native resolution and what I get from my PS2,the quality is a lot better on pcsx2.
Also on tv screen,you can't really see the problems

no im not and even though native res is like 512x512 it isnt looking as great but in software mode it is always native but it looks slightly better
Native Mode on PCSX2 will always look worse than running a PS2 through your television. TV's naturally blur the signal for standard definition, which hides a lot of the noise on the picture, but with emulation you get a pure signal, so edges and pixelated textures always look a lot worse.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

I plugged both my laptop and my PS2 to my 32-inch HDTV and they looked the same.

Note: I used the component cable. The picture was blurry using the standard RCA cable.
I use standard A\V cable to connect the PS2 to my PC tv tuner and the picture look worse than on pcsx2(native resolution)...any game.
also with pcsx2s recorder i notice that when on native resolution on the video recorded it looks like on a TV
and i looked at some stuff about components in the ps2 and u know the emotion engine i have noticed even when not using speedhacks and keeping native resolution and settings on default even basic games that always run fullspeed like say sonic heroes but it does not look as smooth and flow as ps2 and i dont have to look carefully to see the difference
Dunno if it's the same but what I've noticed so far that visually, software mode matches identically to what you see on PS2 and hardware mode at native resolution looks kinda aliased with some non-ps2-feel subpixel calculation. I'd say that the hardware mode looks like you play the same game on the same resolution but on a different platform, let's say the Gamecube. They may be identical but visually they get rendered sliiightly a bit differently.

That's normal though, every emulator that I can think of has this, especially the ones that involve 3D graphics, there are so many aspects involved in the process of emulation that it's virtually impossible hardware-accelerated-wise to emulate them due to different instructions on hardware (lightning,anti-aliasing,z depth,sub-pixel calculation,texture mapping and filtering etc).
I think something is wrong with hardware mode which does make it look worse than a real PS2 for most or all games, but I haven't actually done conclusive tests. It's on my todo.
maybe it's the screen filtering and incorrect pixel scale after resizing that makes it look ugly. you have to really go NATIVE resolution on a tv.