Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions about laptop GPU + CPU for pcsx2
Hi all, this is my first post so sorry if I put it in a wrong place.

I'm gonna get a laptop for school work and entertaining. For gaming, running PCSX2 (and Dolphin, PCSP...) to play different kinds of console games will be my 1st priority (I guess everyone will LOL if I say I rarely play ANY PS2 or PSP games before). So there is something I'd like to make it clear before getting it.

The specs that I'm gonna get (Sager NP5165 / Clevo W150HRM)
- Nvidia GT 555m, details here
There are many versions of GT 555m, in Sager NP5165 it has 144 shaders, 128 bit DDR3 memory
- 1920x1080 resolution
- 4GB 1333MHZ

Because the GPU cannot be changed so I have to stick with it, but will it give a decent FPS on PCSX2?

Now the thing that I concern the most is the processor. I barely tried out running PCSX2 on my current laptop with Intel T6670 2.2Ghz and onboard GPU and the FPS is definitely not playable. Now I have some choices and not sure which one will give out the best performance on PCSX2:

- Intel Sandy Bridge Core i5 2410m (2 cores, 4 threads, 2.3 GHz, turbo boost to 2.9 GHz)
- Intel Sandy Bridge Core i5 2520m (2 cores, 4 threads, 2.5 GHz, turbo boost to 3.2 GHz)
- Intel Sandy Bridge Core i5 2540m (2 cores, 4 threads, 2.6 GHz, turbo boost to 3.3 GHz)
- Intel Sandy Bridge Core i7 2620m (2 cores, 4 threads, 2.7 GHz, turbo boost to 3.4 GHz)
- Intel Sandy Bridge Core i7 2630m (4 cores, 8 threads, 2.0 GHz, turbo boost to 2.9 GHz)

There are other processors that are available but due to my budget I can only choose between them.

I read the article of CPU benchmark in this box but it seems everyone almost use Desktop PC so I still can't find the answer myself.

1. I heard that clock rate are very important, so will a 2 cores CPU with higher clock rate do better than a 4 cores CPU with lower clock rate or in the opposite?
2. Is it possible for any of these processors to run almost playable games (I hope more than 80% of playable games) at 50+ or even 60 FPS (Of course the cheapest one that can do this would be the best)? Or I have no choice but to overclock it? If yes, how?

I barely have any experience with PCSX2 because my current machine isn't capable of running it so it would be nice if somebody do some tests on these processors.

My request settings on playing PCSX2 games: I hope the specs will be able to handle ALMOST CURRENT PLAYABLE GAMES (It would be great if it can handle all the games at decent FPS that a good Desktop can), I'm cool with native resolution and without AA. Because of lacking of experience, so I guess the question would be will it be able to handle currently the most demaning playable games (you guys know which games right?) at native resolution with AA turned off and speed hack enabled at 50~60FPS? Well if the answer is "yes" so it means I'll be ok with the rest games and higher settings right? Laugh

Thanks in advance.

P/s: Due to my current state it's not possible for me to get a PS2 or a Desktop PC so please don't tell me to buy them. And having a PC machine that is able to play plenty types of console games is always my dream Laugh.

Sponsored links

Quote:Due to my current state it's not possible for me to get a PS2

You need one to get pcsx2 to run legally.
closed
CPU : I7 2600K Oc'ed @ 4.2Ghz
Mobo : Intel P67 southbridge
GPU : NVIDIA Geforce GTX 750 Ti
RAM : 6 Go