Questions about multicore and running pcsx2 on ps3
Hello here, i have some questions.
As wiki says "Note: PCSX2 only takes advantage of 2 cores so far; so a quad-core processor will not help with speed." but i not clearly understand this thing. so speed on 4x core cpu would be the same as single core or the same as 2x core cpu?

And the other thing is it possible to run linux version of pcsx2 on ps3 under linux installed? it would be great to use all 218 giga flops for emulationOhmy

Sponsored links

Quote:but i not clearly understand this thing. so speed on 4x core cpu would be the same as single core or the same as 2x core cpu?

No, not exactly. Speed will be equal to anything above 2 cores, so dual core,quad core, hexa core etc will be the same (of course if we assume all processors are of the same family). A single core will be vastly slower than a dual core +

No it will be almost impossible to do that on the PS3. Even if you did, you wouldn't use any of those giga flops because PS3 Linux doesn't take advantage of any kind of hardware acceleration.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
oh thank you man. i was almost ready to buy 4x core cpu to run pcsx2 with good speed, but i was scared if it would be equal to single core lol. Now i got it right
from my personal experience 3rd core noticeable effect the pcsx2 performance. 4th core - not.
i know pcsx2 use only 2 cores, but i see what i see.

i used process explorer and turned cores on and off on running pcsx2. i saw constant ~10 fps change switching between 2 and 3 cores.
scene in the game was static (i stand still, no moving objects, no fps fluctuation)
Phenom II X4 940 3 Ghz / 8 gb RAM 800 / Geforce GTX 460 / win7 64
(06-16-2010, 01:13 PM)tohdom Wrote: from my personal experience 3rd core noticeable effect the pcsx2 performance. 4th core - not.
i know pcsx2 use only 2 cores, but i see what i see.

i used process explorer and turned cores on and off on running pcsx2. i saw constant ~10 fps change switching between 2 and 3 cores.
scene in the game was static (i stand still, no moving objects, no fps fluctuation)

That's simply because the rest of background apps use some CPU cycles which are held by the third core in this case, and PCSX2 can use entire 2 cores' perfomance...
Indeed, 3+ core CPUs will help performance, though typically not significantly unless you have some fairly aggressive virus scanners or other processes running in the background. Also factoring in is your GPU and GPU drivers -- modern DX11-compliant drivers under Windows 7 are more likely utilize third core for DWM (Aero) overhead and such.

The trouble is that you usually give up ghz when you add cores, which is why the PCSX2 team recommends dual core CPUs for best performance. A 4ghz dual core (overclocked) will beat out a 3.3ghz quad core in PCSX2; background processes or not. Wink
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
If it's not too rude,may I ask why PCSX2 only supports 2 cores?
Shady:

An emulator isnt like any other piece of software. Many of the parts cant be threaded because they depend on other parts. Out of order can't happen except for a very small amount of tasks (like maybe rendering, doing GUI updates and messages, handling interrupts, maybe). So in that respect, its impossible to thread many parts of the emulator. Another factor is that threading is really difficult to keep synchronized with all the other parts. Some synchronizing doesnt have to be perfect, but lots of parts have to be pretty darn tight making threading either impossible or not worth it. So, the threads that run only spread across 2 cores.
Urisma:

Thanks for the explanation,if I may add "So,the threads that run only spread across 2 cores...for now!"
Since according to the dev team,they're working on implementing compatibility for quad cores.
Uh no they are not.
[Image: newsig.jpg]