Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions about overclocking.
Hi, my cpu clock speed is 2.80GHz and my processor is hex core, now I know that only 2 cores get used, so I'm thinking about overclocking for certain games. I also have the arctic freezer cooler rev 2 fan, will that be decent for cooling my cpu down if i do overclock my pc?

Sponsored links

Best way to find out is to try and keep checking your temps with a program like CoreTemp. Most systems generate different heat and depends on coolers, air flow, even the weather so just try and keep an eye on it Tongue2
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
(02-08-2011, 11:26 PM)Merkieman Wrote: Hi, my cpu clock speed is 2.80GHz and my processor is hex core, now I know that only 2 cores get used, so I'm thinking about overclocking for certain games. I also have the arctic freezer cooler rev 2 fan, will that be decent for cooling my cpu down if i do overclock my pc?

Yes, your Air cooler is a decent one, but i think thats not enough for overclocking...

a hexacore one is good enough, Isnt it?? why do you want it to overclock??

Like shadowlady said check your current Pc temperature with that Software..

Core temp is great, small and usefull.
[Image: wipe_b10.gif]
More core doesn't means that it's faster, plus pcsx2 which only support dualcore. The hexacore only shine with apps that is optimized to run on multi-threaded cores, thus a higher clock speed is preferred in pcsx2.
(02-09-2011, 08:38 AM)rahul.deadmanzzz Wrote: a hexacore one is good enough, Isnt it?? why do you want it to overclock??

That question was actually already answered.

(02-08-2011, 11:26 PM)Merkieman Wrote: Hi, my cpu clock speed is 2.80GHz and my processor is hex core, now I know that only 2 cores get used, so I'm thinking about overclocking for certain games...

(02-09-2011, 08:38 AM)rahul.deadmanzzz Wrote: Yes, your Air cooler is a decent one, but i think thats not enough for overclocking...

Actually, if this is the cooler, it should be quite alright. It is rated as 45 CFM, which is pretty good for a CPU fan in that price range. After all, I'm doing my OCing with a simple $30 CM Hyper 212+ (CFM max of 50, I believe), and the temps are great. Just watch your temps.
I have a question also. When overcloacking is it helpful to lower RAM frequency if PC won't boot? I have MSI G41M4-F. What other is useful to do to get stability?
(02-09-2011, 12:14 PM)Game Wrote: I have a question also. When overcloacking is it helpful to lower RAM frequency if PC won't boot? I have MSI G41M4-F. What other is useful to do to get stability?

Sometimes lowering the ram timing helps. You can also try increasing the voltage to the ram, it might help stabilize the overclock.
But, i think messing with ram frequency is not a secured option...It might get heated..
[Image: wipe_b10.gif]
Hmmm, my motherboard I see has these features such as a turbo key, anti-surge(don't know what that is) which may help?
And, I can disable cores pretty easily in my bios, I was wondering if I disabled like 3 of them, then there would be 2, 1 and 0, would the power of those cores get transferred over to those other ones I left, haha trying to think of ideas to make PCSX2 run better as well
(02-09-2011, 01:49 PM)rahul.deadmanzzz Wrote: But, i think messing with ram frequency is not a secured option...It might get heated..

Okay you've shown your lack of knowledge about processor speed and now overclocking, i ask you nicely to refrane from giving any more advice in this thread please.

Underclocking your ram before starting an overclock is a good idea, generally RAM can start becomming unstable soon after going over its designated speed (which will happen when you up the processor FSB/BusCLK), without altering CAS timings and everything else, it can get messy, so drop it down 1 setting/multiplier and you should be ok.

[Image: ref_sig_anim.gif]
Like our Facebook Page and visit our Facebook Group!