Questions about save state slot and Xenosaga I
Looks like your typical GPU slowdown scene, DirectX10 is much faster on this game doesnt seems like you're running it? Try checking/unchecking the "allow 8-bit textures" option, other than that native should be able to help. Bt basically I think if you dont like slow gameplay or running low resolutions you might want to stay playing it in the PS2.

And Pentium Dual Core is as good as core 2 duo you could just call them low budget core 2 duo, just lower features to reach the lower price but they are as good as a core 2 duo with same features (Pentium Dual Core E5300 definitelly beats any core 2 Duo E4xxx for example Tongue)
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64

Sponsored links

I'm running on DX10 mode, and 8bit textures are enabled. Xenosaga only runs on decent speed by doing this way. At least it used to. It's well known by me since the first time I did run the game on pcsx2. But at that time, I had a [email protected], so there was no way I could know if my GPU was the bottleneck because of the slow CPU (slow for xenosaga. other games did run fine). And I usually do like you said: when I cant run a game in pcsx2 at higher res other then native, I play in my ps2 with pleasure. But thanks anyway, Shadow Lady.

ps: are you the same Shadow Lady that made a FAQ for iDeaS emu some time ago? I remember that a did translated the old FAQ to brazilian portuguese. Tongue

Sorry for my bad english.
Oh, rodiablo, I have to tell you that for some reason, that rendered scene is the slowest part in the game, so after that is over, the game is much faster, keep that in mind, don't expect the whole game to be like that! This is the only -so far- rendered video scene where the voice is all "slowed down", the rest of the game plays much much faster. Don't know why. In fact the whole encephalon scene is a bit slower than the rest of the game.

Here are the screenshots, on the first one I get 35.9fps, wich is much slower than your 47 (I had many programs running in background but nothing cpu-intensive so they don't matter, as I wasn't playing the game I didn't close them =P). On the second shot though, our speeds are nearly identical (mine actually being faster). I tell you, this scene is quite odd, it is really slow but it's the only scene like this in the game so far for me -15hs ahead into the game-

One curious thing though.. look at the top bar of both our screenshots... your CPU is almost at 100% always, while mine is at 88% on one... so I must "guess" that you are currently CPU limited while I am GPU limited (8400M GT.. not so good!). Our main memory is the same (3GB DDR2 800Mhz, I had 4 but lended 1 to my sister LOL)... so... I'll check native resolution and take the two screenshots again, you do the same and if I get better speeds, then it's your CPU holding you back, I guess... anyways, just get past the whole encephalon thing and you'll be OK =] but our speeds should be really different since 2.4Ghz vs 4Ghz is quiiiite a lot..

1280x800, everything configured as stated on earlier posts:

[Image: rodiablo1.th.jpg]

[Image: rodiablo2.th.jpg]

Native res, the rest the same:

[Image: rodiablo11.th.jpg]

[Image: rodiablo22.th.jpg]

BTW I also LOVE this game!! And the II and the III!!
Quote:I'm running on DX10 mode, and 8bit textures are enabled. Xenosaga only runs on decent speed by doing this way.

This is strange, I play w/o "8bit textures enabled". The only time I checked (for just a few seconds xDD) the speed was about the same so I unchecked it xDD
SAGER NP8690 | i7-620M 2.66Ghz | 6GB RAM | ATI 5870M 1GB GDDR5 | FullHD 1080p 15.6'' | 500GB HDD 7200RPM | WINDOWS 7
OMG!!! Dude, disable 8bit texture RIGHT AWAY, look at my speeds with that enabled!! (1280x800 internal res):

[Image: damnk.th.jpg]

So this might well be your problem!! It is quiiiiite slower at least on this scene to have 8 bit texture enabled. I hope this solves your problem!!
It was a good thing I double checked xDD I guess...
BTW rodiablo are you from brazil?? 'cause I might just be on a neighbour country xDDD
SAGER NP8690 | i7-620M 2.66Ghz | 6GB RAM | ATI 5870M 1GB GDDR5 | FullHD 1080p 15.6'' | 500GB HDD 7200RPM | WINDOWS 7
About the 8bit texture, at the time this feature was implemented, some people did run a test with with Xenosaga and the game was some faster, but maybe my memory is wrong (I have memory problems due to a cerebral stroke in 2003). Sad

But Oh my god! I must confess one serious thing: I NEVER tested the game beyond the encefalon scene, because I thought the whole game could run like that, based on the fact that the scene was rendered in realtime and the game has a lot of scenes like that one, except when you are running inside the enviroments. I feel like a complete dumb now. LOL Thanks so much for the information, dotHack. Really, thanks o/

I have the complete saga, and I was hoping to be able to play the complete saga on High Def since Xenosaga I got playable in pcsx2. So... I never played the second and third episodes because I like this saga SO MUCH that I got completely seduced by the chance to run and finish the entire saga in HD. So I stopped playing the series after the first episode and I've been very patient just waiting for the day when my Xenosaga high definition dream come true.

sorry for the caps I'm gonna use now but...

I FEEL REALLY DUMB RIGHT NOWBlushBlushBlush

But have you checked the 8bit texture thing? With it "enabled" i get 24fps on a scene where it "disabled" gets me 36 fps. Quite a difference. Play with 8bit texture disabled maybe. I'll do more tests later (its 3:00am here)

Oh, and you haven't answered my question, are you from brazil? if it's not much to ask. 'cause I'm from Paraguay here hoho =P
rodiablo, here you got some screens of xenosaga alongside cpu-z, check the speeds ingame, during a fight, with kosmos visible and doing some special attacks. Windows 7 (RTM, no RC), 2.4Ghz CPU running at that speed, and well, my usual configuration, 1280x800, almost no aggressive speedhacks etc., 55-60fps stable, but sometimes random slowdows to 48fps or so. If you play in native is pretty much full speed, i don't think this is one of the heaviest ps2 games. Haunting Grounds (hardware or software, bugy or not buggy hehe), Shadows of the Colossus, Valkyrie Profile 2, these 3 games are much slower on my 2.4 C2D, oh, DMC3 too.

[Image: xeno1.th.jpg]

[Image: xeno2.th.jpg]

[Image: xeno3.th.jpg]

[Image: xeno4.th.jpg]
Sorry for the late answer. Yes, I'm brazilian Smile But I couldn't do more testing with Xenosaga yet. Also, yesterday I did find a funny thing about PCSX2 and Xenosaga ISO before going to bed. Both the emulator and ISO were NTFS compressed. I deactivated the NTFS compression and voilá! More FPS came like magic. LOL I will test it properly again tonight. I'm at work now. I cannot open imageshack here also. But about the 8bit texture thing, It seems not to affect my speed too much in this game. It seems my GPU can handle it almost without impact. And maybe the extra L2 Cache and the SSE4.1 instructions you have make the game run smoother then on my rig. When I get in home, I'll modify my overclock by lowering the CPU multiplier and rasing the FSB to see what can come from it.

Oh, and thank you very much for helping me out. Gracias, hermano. ^^

EDIT: I forgot to ask you something: which version of forceware are you using with your VGA?

Hi ,

I have exactly the same problem , plus the fact that after the first scene in the tutorial when i'm close to kosmos and the other character it's laggy and slow , i have a E8400 o/c at 3.9Ghz , 4Go of Ram and GTX480 on windows 7 .

What does rodiablo meant by NTFS compression ?
This game requires a pretty beefy system so you will get slowdowns, especially on the cutscenes. My AMD when it was clocked at 3.6ghz handled it fairly well, but still slow.
[Image: 2748844.png]