Quick Dragon Quest VIII question
Hey guys, I took out DQVIII for a spin recently and thought I'd try it through PCSX2 since I recently upgraded my comp (and have past experience with emulation).

It looks gorgeous and runs smoothly with 4x internal res, and plays perfectly. My only beef is that the text and especially the menu screens are blurry and pixelated, almost as if they're not being rendered in the new res along with everything else. It wouldn't bother me that much except that it strains my eyes, and I know over time it would be a bigger issue. There is also a bit of text garbage.

Is there anything that can be done about that or is it just a common issue that can't be avoided? Other than the default speedhacks the one hack I did change was SkipDraw to 1. Thanks!

Sponsored links

2d objects (including menus) will never magically become hi-res. The best you can do is make sure that software filtering is on, which will smooth out the rough edges, but will make them blurry (which is where I assume you're at). You can try disabling texture filtering (either by unchecking it, or setting it to shaded instead of checked) but it will be more pixelated... but at least it will be sharp.
[Image: 2748844.png]
I figured that was the reason though I'm curious why a game like Mario Galaxy 2, for example, can have its text and really its entire HUD look so incredibly crisp at high res rendered through Dolphin. Pretty much everything about its visuals render shockingly well at 1080p.

Given that the Wii itself is limited to 480p that always struck me as strange. The Mario Galaxy games seem like they were made with higher resolutions targeted in mind (though I'm not complaining!).

The menus don't look much different with texture filtering off so I think I'll just have to live with it. But thanks anyway. Outside of the UI and text elements DQVIII certainly looks pretty amazing itself at high res, but that's what happens when you start off with nice art.