Quick question : Configuration, framerate, and resolution.
Hi,

I have some question before getting into pcsx2 seriousely. I hope you'll help me.

I've read the FAQ and checked with the search section but failed to find the answers I want.

So what I want to know is :

I've checked the compatibility list and the two games ( Kingdom hearts final mix and devil may cry ) that motivate me in using Pcsx2 are categorized as "playable".

- If I get a "great" pc and do the "best" configuration in order to play Devil may cry ( the first one on ps2 ), will the game run as fast as if I was playing the NTCS version on a ps2 ?

- Will I have to change my configuration each time I change between DMC and KHFM ? Or is the "best" hypothetical configuration for DMC stable enough for these two games ? If I need to change the configuration, is there a way to "save" the configuration and load it ?

- If I "stretch" the resolution up to 1024 x 800, will the framerate or other side things be affected and make the game play less smoother ? What about the best resolution, will it makes my game play less smoother ?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored links

1. Given a modern PC, not necessarily high-end, almost all games will run at full speed, as if they are running on a real PS2. The exceptions include some known titles such as Shadow of the Colossus, Primal, Ranchet and Clank, Metal Gear Solid... Kingdom Hearts low demanding, and Devil May Cry is of the middle class, so do not worry.

2. It depends on what settings you use. If you have a weak PC, and rely on speedhacks to achieve full speed, you may need to change the speedhacks per game because some games benefit from a speedhack while others do not. If you have a powerful PC, just use default settings and it works fine for most games. Currently there is no direct way to save configurations/profiles.

3. I wonder why you like 1024x800? Is it your monitor resolution? If it is, so I guess your PC is pretty ancient by now. Anyway, you'd better not mess with custom resolution. It causes problem sometimes. Most PCSX2 users, including me, don't know how pixels are cropped/stretched behind the scene. Imagine a custom res of 102400000000 x 800 -- I really don't know how PCSX2 handles it. I recommend scaling instead. Use 2x - 6x scaling based on how powerful your graphics card is. Higher resolution causes severe slowdown on weak graphics card. If your monitor resolution is that low, which is 1024x800, 2x scaling is enough, plus some anti-aliasing if you like.
Gonna add that DMC 1 does have some stupid graphical glitch, you can check wiki for workaround.

Also PCSX2 doesn't store anything for each game(except cheats;p), but you can use an external launcher like PS2Lunch to do it, and keep different settings for each problematic game easily, it's also nice to use if you have a bigger collection of games and want to double click the title on a list instead of loading iso each time:].
Is not lacking the fundamental information?

To know if the machine will be able to run a game is useful to know the machine's specs...

The best configuration for certain machine probably is not the best for another.

Edit: Still some concepts can be advanced, the max internal resolution supported will be dependent on the video card mostly. The need of speedhacks will be dictated by the CPU power in most cases.
Imagination is where we are truly real
first, thank for your quick and complete answers.

Quote:3. I wonder why you like 1024x800? Is it your monitor resolution? If it is, so I guess your PC is pretty ancient by now. Anyway, you'd better not mess with custom resolution. It causes problem sometimes. Most PCSX2 users, including me, don't know how pixels are cropped/stretched behind the scene. Imagine a custom res of 102400000000 x 800 -- I really don't know how PCSX2 handles it. I recommend scaling instead. Use 2x - 6x scaling based on how powerful your graphics card is. Higher resolution causes severe slowdown on weak graphics card. If your monitor resolution is that low, which is 1024x800, 2x scaling is enough, plus some anti-aliasing if you like.

Nope. In fact, I know nothing about resolutions. Einstein taught me to not memorize what I easily can look up. Biggrin
My actual resolution is 1600x900. If I get into pcsx2 I will of course get a new pc. I assume Laptop are not made for it and overall it's not that great to play on a laptop.

Sorry if that lead to a misunderstand.

Pcsx2 seems really cool if it can make a ps2 game runs as fast as on a ps2.

And thank too for the ps2launch tips. Seems pretty convenient too.

So kingdom hearts and DMC will run if I get the proper pc. Ok, that's cool.

Another question : You said KHFM is low demanding, but on what it depends ? What make a game more or less demanding ?