Quite simply, are my specs good enough?
Hi all. After much messing around/failing with PCSX2, I had success with the PCSX2 CE Wineskin port. Upon running Metal Gear Solid 2 however, the intro is 60 fps, but as soon as the menu screen hits, fps drops to between 19 and 24. I've been through some guides and youtube vids about configs to increase FPS but had no joy. I'd just like someone to tell me wether I simply don't have the spec to run it so I can stop wasting my time, or it is indeed a fixable issue... Many thanks!

Macbook Pro
13-inch, Mid 2009

2.26 GHz Intel Core Duo
4GB 1067MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256MB
OS X 10.9.4

Sponsored links

(10-04-2014, 03:26 PM)44charlie Wrote: Hi all. After much messing around/failing with PCSX2, I had success with the PCSX2 CE Wineskin port. Upon running Metal Gear Solid 2 however, the intro is 60 fps, but as soon as the menu screen hits, fps drops to between 19 and 24. I've been through some guides and youtube vids about configs to increase FPS but had no joy. I'd just like someone to tell me wether I simply don't have the spec to run it so I can stop wasting my time, or it is indeed a fixable issue... Many thanks!

Macbook Pro
13-inch, Mid 2009

2.26 GHz Intel Core Duo
4GB 1067MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256MB
OS X 10.9.4

No, your Mac is too slow
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
1) Your laptop is WAAAAAY too slow.
2) MGS2 is one of the most demanding games you could try to play.
3) You'd be better off trying PCSX2 on a windows machine if there's one available.
you could play games that are very easy to play such as naruto un5,dbzbt3 they will get 30 fps solid in 1x native.......
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
Ahh thanks alot guys. Is any one component letting the side down and worth upgrading? Or shall I just get a new laptop all together.. Cheers
You can't really upgrade a MacBook. A new desktop would be best, but if you have to have a laptop then you will be looking at something around $1100
I'd have stick to Apple because I produce music for a living and some of my tools are only mac compatible.. And portability is pretty crucial too. What about the spec of the current MacBook Pro?

2.8GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
8GB 1600MHz memory
512GB PCIe-based flash storage1
Intel Iris Graphics

Or the 15inch..

2.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz
16GB 1600MHz memory
512GB PCIe-based flash storage 1
Intel Iris Pro Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB GDDR5 memory
I doubt it. Even though it's not awful, it's still only a hyper threaded dual core.
(10-05-2014, 01:50 PM)44charlie Wrote: I'd have stick to Apple because I produce music for a living and some of my tools are only mac compatible.. And portability is pretty crucial too. What about the spec of the current MacBook Pro?

2.8GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
8GB 1600MHz memory
512GB PCIe-based flash storage1
Intel Iris Graphics

Or the 15inch..

2.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz
16GB 1600MHz memory
512GB PCIe-based flash storage 1
Intel Iris Pro Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB GDDR5 memory
Better, but still too weak for mgs2...
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(10-05-2014, 03:02 PM)jesalvein Wrote: Better, but still too weak for mgs2...

^ This. As said before, MGS2 is one of the heaviest games to emulate, although not the worst. You'll still need a beastly machine though and a laptop just won't cut it. Smile