Random Crashes FFXII IZJS
Hi,

I've been running a pretty strange setup to play a patched FFXII International Zodiac Job System edition, and to complicate matters I've even upgraded to Windows 8. It is an external graphics card with GTX 460, on a Sandy Bridge laptop with i5-2520M processor.

Everything was working fine in Windows 7, for about 40 hours of gameplay on pcsx2 0.9.8, but lately I've been getting seemingly random crashes. Then I installed pcsx2 1.0.0 (r5350), and have been running it in Compatibility Mode for Windows 7 64 bit. Sometimes pcsx2 gets completely shut down and I can't even get to a log. Other times it hangs but I can Pause pcsx2 then Resume and everything will be ok. It is here that I can look at the Log to see several "gsdx m_merge is null" errors.

Can anyone tell from the Log if there is some setting that could prevent these random crashes? I've tried using different GS plugins (SSE2) and I don't have Interlacing on. I am running FFXII at 2x Native resolution, and no speedhacks. I'll attach the log.txt file, and I can post any other necessary information. Thanks.

.txt   log.txt (Size: 10,72 KB / Downloads: 324)

Sponsored links

patches often produce errors under pcsx2.
do you get the same error when using the original DVD without patch ?
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
This I was unaware of; I'll give that a shot.
Holla fantompolo,

Iam realy curious about that crash of yours !!

You see, iam currently playing FFXII ZJS (NTSC patched to english) through myself .. Huh

I have done the patching myself, using my original import (ntsc) and the latest patch which is v0.22 ^^

Just maybe you have an older revision of the patched game !!

I have recorded like 30+ish hours by now, and have HAD NOT 1 pcsx2 crash or otherwise (Knocking on the wooden table here Laugh)

Can you tell me what kind of crash you have??
I mean is it an SPU2 crash or PCSX2.exe one ?

the error you should get to read is pretty much describe like this :

Faulting module name: XAudio2_7.dll_unloaded, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4c0641e5
&
Faulting module name: ZeroSPU2.dll, version: 0.4.6.0, time stamp: 0x5074354e

you can check that in event.vwr → application errors

Thanks in advance...
HOBO ASUS M3A32-MVP Deluxe
CPU AMD PII x4 [email protected] stable
COOLER Antec HO2 920 (Water/air)
RAM 4x2 giggles Corsair Vengeance DDR2 800mhz
GPU VTX HD6870 / 1 Gigabyte GDDR5
OS Windows 7 x64 (Ultimate) / SP1
Well, that's what I get for not checking the Event Viewer! The error seems like it is not related to pcsx2 at all, but rather the NVIDIA driver I am using. Every crash reports nvwgf2um.dll as the faulting module name.

The patch I am using is also v0.22. I don't think the crashes are from the patch, because I actually managed 40 hours of gameplay crash free on Windows 7 with NVIDIA 295.73 drivers, but when I reinstalled Windows 8 I accidentally deleted all of my save data, so I had to start from scratch. The crashes happened randomly and in places where they never happened at all, with NVIDIA 306.97 drivers, which makes me think this is unrelated to the ISO itself, and the event viewer pretty much confirms it.

The error is Faulting module name: nvwgf2um.dll, version: 9.18.13.697, time stamp: 0x506b3163. I'm going to install the 310.70 drivers released last week and see if that helps.
Ok so I updated the drivers but still got the same crash. Giving up, I switched to Direct 3D9 (Hardware), but now the crashes are the result of the gsdx plugin, whether it be sse2 or avx.
uhuh... "nv" abbreviation usually stands for Nvidia !!

Yezz... it most likely has something to do with your gpu drivers then !?

And yes, tis wise to rollback the drivers...

But hey... have you tried other SVN builds ?

Iam currently playing FFXII zjs just perfect on pcsx2 r5483 (5484 is available since today) , and see how that works out for you!

Tis as i said once and i say it again... updates doesnt neccesarrly lead to improvements !!!

It actually can do more harm then good !!!

good luck ,

cherriepoopers
Update: drivers have been rolled back to 295.73. There seem to be no issues; I was getting a lot of crashes, especially in towns, but now there is no issue at all with anything. Let's hope this pattern continues! I suspect it has something to do with Windows 8 and the new NVIDIA drivers claiming to have Windows 8 support. The older drivers make no such claim. If I start getting crashes again I'll try the SVN builds.
(12-24-2012, 10:37 AM)fatpolomanjr Wrote: Update: drivers have been rolled back to 295.73. There seem to be no issues; I was getting a lot of crashes, especially in towns, but now there is no issue at all with anything. Let's hope this pattern continues! I suspect it has something to do with Windows 8 and the new NVIDIA drivers claiming to have Windows 8 support. The older drivers make no such claim. If I start getting crashes again I'll try the SVN builds.

Troubleshooting a game!! Tis not an easy task Mellow

And to add insult to injury, in many cases graphics glitches is cause by buggy gpu drivers !!

Have had my share of graphics glitches in the ol epsx (dps1 emule)

Almost an mission impossible to pinpoint the root of a problem this way !!

I think i'll have to follow my own advise (driver rollback) .. for a certain game that again is listed as playable but have serious graphics glitces because of the HWhack i need to use to fix crawling (7 - 8 FPS) issue Unsure !!

Glad it worked out for you..

cheers,