Random Framerate Drop Issues (KHII FM)
First let me say thanks to all the developers for creating this program, it's really great! It works really well with all of my games, except one.

A few days ago I discovered and installed PCSX2 and immediately loaded up my favorite game - Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix. Everything worked great, and I played for about 3 hours. On average, the frame rate was at around 60 FPS. I attempted to mess with the settings in order to improve the resolution, but that set my FPS to something crazy high, like 100 FPS and it was unplayable so I set it back down to the default settings. I experienced no drop in framerate in combat/gameplay in both model heavy encounters or graphics heavy encounters (so, no problem with large groups or bosses). The next day, I tried to play the game and the framerate had dropped to 25 FPS. I tried messing with the settings again and nothing improved. I tried a fresh install and that didn't help. I'm hoping that the problem is something simple that I have inadvertently turned on/off and can be fixed. I'm playing right now and the framerate is 60 FPS. While this is great for me in the moment, I don't know why it's working now or how long it will continue to work or what I did or didn't do to fix it, which is frustrating.

My computer is a laptop, which after some reading on the forums I thought would be a problem, but it did work the first time and is working now. Additionally it plays all my other games no problem. I play all games off of their discs, if that's a problem. It's specifications are:

CPU: Intel i5-2410 - 2.3GHz
GFX: NVIDIA GeForce 525
6 GB RAM

My settings are all default, I do have speedhacks active at their lowest setting. My GS settings are:

Direct3D11 (Hardware)
Native resolution

Please let me know what I can do to achieve a more consistent experience, if anything at all.

Thanks!

Sponsored links

(07-28-2013, 11:32 PM)Xegreny Wrote: First let me say thanks to all the developers for creating this program, it's really great! It works really well with all of my games, except one.

A few days ago I discovered and installed PCSX2 and immediately loaded up my favorite game - Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix. Everything worked great, and I played for about 3 hours. On average, the frame rate was at around 60 FPS. I attempted to mess with the settings in order to improve the resolution, but that set my FPS to something crazy high, like 100 FPS and it was unplayable so I set it back down to the default settings. I experienced no drop in framerate in combat/gameplay in both model heavy encounters or graphics heavy encounters (so, no problem with large groups or bosses). The next day, I tried to play the game and the framerate had dropped to 25 FPS. I tried messing with the settings again and nothing improved. I tried a fresh install and that didn't help. I'm hoping that the problem is something simple that I have inadvertently turned on/off and can be fixed. I'm playing right now and the framerate is 60 FPS. While this is great for me in the moment, I don't know why it's working now or how long it will continue to work or what I did or didn't do to fix it, which is frustrating.

My computer is a laptop, which after some reading on the forums I thought would be a problem, but it did work the first time and is working now. Additionally it plays all my other games no problem. I play all games off of their discs, if that's a problem. It's specifications are:

CPU: Intel i5-2410 - 2.3GHz
GFX: NVIDIA GeForce 525
6 GB RAM

My settings are all default, I do have speedhacks active at their lowest setting. My GS settings are:

Direct3D11 (Hardware)
Native resolution

Please let me know what I can do to achieve a more consistent experience, if anything at all.

Thanks!

What does the EE and GS say on the top when you play?
System Specs
CPU:AMD FX 8350 3.5ghz turbo to 4ghz
GPU: Sapphire HD 7750 GDDR5
MOBO:Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Rev 5.0
RAM: 8GB
(07-28-2013, 11:34 PM)Black Ops Wrote: What does the EE and GS say on the top when you play?

Thanks for the quick reply! I was about to edit that in but you already posted, haha.

I'm playing right now and the EE is 70% and the GS is 30% (on average.. it changes very quickly!).

EDIT: During combat the EE raises to around 90% and the GS raises to around 50%.
(07-28-2013, 11:37 PM)Xegreny Wrote: Thanks for the quick reply! I was about to edit that in but you already posted, haha.

I'm playing right now and the EE is 70% and the GS is 30% (on average.. it changes very quickly!).

Which reaches the highest and what is the number?
System Specs
(07-28-2013, 11:38 PM)Black Ops Wrote: Which reaches the highest and what is the number?

EE will go the highest, to around 95-100% during combat.
It could be the fact that your laptops overheating so the CPU is being throttled down

Do u have sufficient cooling?

(07-28-2013, 11:42 PM)Xegreny Wrote: EE will go the highest, to around 95-100% during combat.

That clearly shows that the CPU is limiting here
System Specs
(07-28-2013, 11:43 PM)Black Ops Wrote: It could be the fact that your laptops overheating so the CPU is being throttled down

Do u have sufficient cooling?

That clearly shows that the CPU is limiting here

The cooling on my laptop is standard, I don't have anything additional to cool it down, but it's not hot to the touch or anything like that. I've also not had oveheating problems in the past. CoreTemp states that the temperature of my CPU is 75C.
Temp that high means your safety measures are coming in to keep from burning your cpu to a crisp. You will need better cooling while your power management is on high performance. Laptops in general are just not great for these cpu intensive tasks.
OS: Linux Mint 17.2 64 bit (occasional Antergos/Arch user)
(I am no longer a Windows user)
CPU: Intel Pentium G3258
GPU: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti