Random near locks in all games, possibly caused by something weird?
Okay this just started happening and I can't figure it out for the life of me. It's NOT PCSX2 specific, it also happens in PPSSPP. But NOT in PC games like Skyrim with HRTP and everything maxed, Hitman absolution, DXHR etc.

I'll be playing a game and then suddenly the frame rate will drop from full speed to 20 or so fps for about half a second. Then it recovers. This is ESPECIALLY annoying as I play a lot of rhythm games and it causes me to mess up. I ran HWINFO in the background with logging and waited for it to happen a few times. No spikes in CPU or GPU usage, and I had used very conservative settings so neither were near max.

This wasn't happening up until a few days ago. No new software installs, no new hardware. The ONLY change is I changed the SATA mode in my bios from IDE to AHCI. But could that really do it? AHCI is supposed to be better for SATA with the native command queuing and such right? And anyway that was a few days before the problem manifested.

It's very intermittent, once every 5 minutes maybe. I also ran Resource Monitor and logged the hard drive usage and nothing suspicious there. Any ideas?
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD

Sponsored links

what about temps? does your temp go really high?
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(10-17-2013, 10:54 PM)refraction Wrote: what about temps? does your temp go really high?

That was my thought too, because my CPU will throttle itself past 69C, I've watched it do it. As soon as it hits that on any given core, it drops that core down to 1.4GHZ. However, when I was testing, no core ever went over 30% and the temp never breached 52C. Also since HWINFO shows min/max/avg speed on all cores, I can see that it was pegged to 4.1GHZ the whole time. And my GPU despite it's overclock runs cool as a cucumber. That giant fan it came with may be a PITA to get in the case, but man does it keep that thing cool!
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Just disable AHCI then, I recall someone else had similar problem, but it was like over 2 years ago or so;p. I think you cannot simply switch to AHCI, your OS has to be installed under it to work properly.
(10-18-2013, 01:04 AM)miseru99 Wrote: Just disable AHCI then, I recall someone else had similar problem, but it was like over 2 years ago or so;p. I think you cannot simply switch to AHCI, your OS has to be installed under it to work properly.

It can be done with reg edit change but I have never really dont it on my personal computer was always installed with AHCI, It is possible that the REG change to AHCI dont work right in all situations and dont install right drivers correctly
try the links in my sig Biggrin

Quote:The ONLY change is I changed the SATA mode in my bios from IDE to AHCI

iirc you set that up when you install your o/s ,as i'm pretty sure you can have problems if you do it after

anything i say can't be taken as being totally accurate as no 1 it's late
and no 2 because it's very late my brain is in caveman mode
LaughEvil
Not sure what graphics card you have, it's memory bandwidth,
it's temperature, fan speed, what pixel shader it has
try TechPowerUp's gpu-z

Not sure what your cpu is try cpu-z
       (hint click on the highlighted links Biggrin)
@op- check your mobo fan for the dust and your drivers are up to date .
And the other thing which comes in my mind is if your cpu support idg then make a try with that cause its possibly fix the problem .
Core i3 9100f 3.6Ghz
RAM=8GB
nvidia GT 1030
pcsx2 version-1.3.1  
(10-18-2013, 01:04 AM)miseru99 Wrote: Just disable AHCI then, I recall someone else had similar problem, but it was like over 2 years ago or so;p. I think you cannot simply switch to AHCI, your OS has to be installed under it to work properly.

I tried switching back and it made no difference, also see below.

(10-18-2013, 01:31 AM)tsunami2311 Wrote: It can be done with reg edit change but I have never really dont it on my personal computer was always installed with AHCI, It is possible that the REG change to AHCI dont work right in all situations and dont install right drivers correctly

That's what I did. Actually Microsoft provides a "FixIt" now which they fully support, and that's what I used.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

(10-18-2013, 02:57 AM)dr emulator (madmax) Wrote: try the links in my sig Biggrin

iirc you set that up when you install your o/s ,as i'm pretty sure you can have problems if you do it after

anything i say can't be taken as being totally accurate as no 1 it's late
and no 2 because it's very late my brain is in caveman mode
LaughEvil

You mean the Z programs and all that? I had all of that stuff long before this man. I guess I should have mentioned that I have a degree in CIS. I've worked in computer repair before as well. I've checked everything obvious.

(10-18-2013, 04:53 AM)Brock lessner Wrote: @op- check your mobo fan for the dust and your drivers are up to date .
And the other thing which comes in my mind is if your cpu support idg then make a try with that cause its possibly fix the problem .

Computer was built less than 50 days ago. No dust. Excellent cable management and airflow. CPU will get throttled from heat if all 6 cores are at 100%, but self quote:

Blyss Sarania Wrote:That was my thought too, because my CPU will throttle itself past 69C, I've watched it do it. As soon as it hits that on any given core, it drops that core down to 1.4GHZ. However, when I was testing, no core ever went over 30% and the temp never breached 52C. Also since HWINFO shows min/max/avg speed on all cores, I can see that it was pegged to 4.1GHZ the whole time. And my GPU despite it's overclock runs cool as a cucumber. That giant fan it came with may be a PITA to get in the case, but man does it keep that thing cool!

Everything is as up to date as possible. What is idg?
Idg is an graphic communication port or something like that.
Core i3 9100f 3.6Ghz
RAM=8GB
nvidia GT 1030
pcsx2 version-1.3.1  
(10-18-2013, 01:56 PM)Brock lessner Wrote: Idg is an graphic communication port or something like that.

I've never seen such a setting in my BIOS or list of CPU features, and googling produced no results.

[Image: cpu_zps10523c91.png]

[Image: gpu_zpsf975e8b7.png]