Random slowdowns????
Hi guys,

Got some kind of problem, when i play Tales of the Abyss on pcsx2 0.9.6.
it sometimes have major slowdowns.

When i start the game everything is oke fps 50-60 and ik know i don't have the best laptop so when i enter towns it's about fps 40-55 and that is reasonable. Graphics are very good (Direct 3D10 Hardware, pixel shader 3.0) and the sound is good and in sync, so everything is working.
But sometimes some slowdowns occur and then the fps drop to 15-30 and that's horrible. I don't know why but they occure regular and the cpu usage isn't increasing to solve the problem?? I tried changing configuration and it doesn't work. I know that my laptop can handle it because it works and when the slowdown's occure i minimise Pcsx and wait for some seconds maximise it so that the cpu usage will increase and the slowdown are (sometimes) gone. Please help me i'm desperate!!

These are my laptop specs from Can you run it:
You Have: 2 processors running - Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU T7250 @ 2.00GHz
System Ram: 2.0 GB
Vista home premium
You Have: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT (GeForce 8600M GT)
Video Card Features
RAM: You have - 1011 MB
Video Card 3D Acceleration: You have
Video HW Transform & Lighting: You have
Vertex Shader Ver.: You have - 4.0
Pixel Shader Ver.: You have - 4.0

And the configuration of pcsx2:

Speed Hacks: Use 2x Cycle Rate, INTC Sync Hack, Enable IOP 2x Cycle Rate, WaitCyles Synce Hack ( i don't thinks it's about my speed hacks because i tried them turned of and not mucht changed)
Advanced Options: Default ( i turned every thing to[/b] the none but again not mucht changed minor speed up but the slowdowns kept coming)

Sponsored links

One word: SpeedStep.

Google it for the full-on description. The short answer which I'll give here: SpeedStep is a heat reduction feature of all modern laptops. It comes enabled by default, and is in fact very good at its job -- which is making your computer run really crap slow when it starts to get hot.

The fix is to disable SpeedStep in your bios.

Warning: Laptops are traditionally poor about cooling, and disabling SpeedStep will likely shorten the already short lifespan of a typical laptop. You might be able to get some cheap cooling tips looking around on the web though. For example, I have two foam pads about 2cm high and 4x30 cm wide that I stick under my laptop to give it air circulation underneath to help keep it cooler.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
(04-26-2009, 04:08 PM)Air Wrote: One word: SpeedStep.

Google it for the full-on description. The short answer which I'll give here: SpeedStep is a heat reduction feature of all modern laptops. It comes enabled by default, and is in fact very good at its job -- which is making your computer run really crap slow when it starts to get hot.

The fix is to disable SpeedStep in your bios.

Warning: Laptops are traditionally poor about cooling, and disabling SpeedStep will likely shorten the already short lifespan of a typical laptop. You might be able to get some cheap cooling tips looking around on the web though. For example, I have two foam pads about 2cm high and 4x30 cm wide that I stick under my laptop to give it air circulation underneath to help keep it cooler.

It's usually not possible to disable speedstep on a laptop, unless with some hack. Besides, while always a possibility, I don't think speedstep is the reason in this case, 2ghz is not enough for Tales of Abyss overall, and graphics adapter is weak using tons of shared memory.
Check your performance settings make sure its on high performance and not on balanced/power saver.
Laptop Rig:

Core 2 Duo @ 1.8Ghz
3 gb DDR2-800 RAM
256mb ATI HD 3430
Windows Vista Buisness 32-Bit

Desktop Rig:

P4 HT @ 3.0Ghz
3 gb DDR2-533 RAM
256mb ATI X1300
Windows XP Pro 32-Bit
thx for the comments.

@Mortred: it's always on high preformance Tongue

@Cain: But i know that i can play it because it really runs smoothly, it's only crappy when the slowdown's occur.

@Air: I think you are right, because my laptop is getting warm when i play Tales of the abyss. When i was playing Medieval II total War my laptop was also every time warm but i played easy 3-6 hours and i din't get slowdown's??? How is that so?? If i try to keep my laptop cooler wil that also disable the Speedstep, because i'm affraid if i turn it of and the laptop isn't coolingdown is wil crash. Sad

EDIT: i played the game right after turning the laptop on and it worked like a charm (55-60 fps) Laugh for about 45 min Sad
thx Air now i know where the problem lies, i just need to solve it Tongue