Random slowness
Hello there, I'm such a newbie with PCSX2, I'm having random slowness in some games and I don't understand why.

First of all, my specs are:
Windows 8
Intel Core i5 4570 @ 3.2GHz
RAM 8GB DDR3
Asus Radeon R9 270 2GB DDR5

And I'm using this settings in PCSX2 [with PCSX2 v1.2.1 and GSdx 0 (MSVC 18.00, SSSE3) 0.1.16 as video plugin].

http://i.imgur.com/3mm539m.jpg

The game in which I'm having this problem is The Warriors; while I play, the moment when about 8-10 NPCs are showed, it just gets slow for a few seconds and then back to normal speed.

I think it's because the turbo setting but, as I said, I have no idea about this and I don't want to touch anything and screw everything.
Also, the configuration I have is from a YouTube video.

I hope you can help me to fix this, it's very frustrating to experience this while I'm playing.

In case you need any other information, please let me know. Thank you.

By the way, according to PCSX2's window, i'm getting 59-61 fps, thats why I thought it was turbo setting issue.

Sponsored links

What are EE% and GS$ readings during and shortly before and after slowdowns?

Can you keep the same state for some time (stay still, couple of npc's around you) and check if the occasional lag still present?

If yes can you please check clock rate of cpu with cpu-z during and shortly before and after slowdown?
for starters, change the settings back to the default one.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
(12-30-2014, 11:42 PM)TraneAlvarez Wrote: Hello there, I'm such a newbie with PCSX2, I'm having random slowness in some games and I don't understand why.

First of all, my specs are:
Windows 8
Intel Core i5 4570 @ 3.2GHz
RAM 8GB DDR3
Asus Radeon R9 270 2GB DDR5

And I'm using this settings in PCSX2 [with PCSX2 v1.2.1 and GSdx 0 (MSVC 18.00, SSSE3) 0.1.16 as video plugin].

http://i.imgur.com/3mm539m.jpg

The game in which I'm having this problem is The Warriors; while I play, the moment when about 8-10 NPCs are showed, it just gets slow for a few seconds and then back to normal speed.

I think it's because the turbo setting but, as I said, I have no idea about this and I don't want to touch anything and screw everything.
Also, the configuration I have is from a YouTube video.

I hope you can help me to fix this, it's very frustrating to experience this while I'm playing.

In case you need any other information, please let me know. Thank you.

By the way, according to PCSX2's window, i'm getting 59-61 fps, thats why I thought it was turbo setting issue.

Would be the turbo only if the game is being played in turbo mode, what is not the intended function of that feature.

To try and get more speed the correct is trying first the speedhacks, don't abuse then also and remember is always better having a bit of each than much of only one. Anyway, is a try and err process finding the best setup to suit the game being played and your machine specs/setup.
Imagination is where we are truly real
(12-31-2014, 12:06 AM)willkuer Wrote: What are EE% and GS$ readings during and shortly before and after slowdowns?

Can you keep the same state for some time (stay still, couple of npc's around you) and check if the occasional lag still present?

If yes can you please check clock rate of cpu with cpu-z during and shortly before and after slowdown?

Ok, I've trying with Devil May Cry 3 and still happens, specially when ''high quality'' textures are shown, likes lights and smoke etc (for example, when I'm shooting)

Even when my character is standing still happens.

What do you mean by clock rate? I checked CPU-Z and ''Core speed'' is always at 3597,87 MHz. If that's not what you mean, please be more specific.

(12-31-2014, 07:25 AM)ssakash Wrote: for starters, change the settings back to the default one.

I already try setting everything as default and it's just madness.

(12-31-2014, 09:19 AM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: Would be the turbo only if the game is being played in turbo mode, what is not the intended function of that feature.

To try and get more speed the correct is trying first the speedhacks, don't abuse then also and remember is always better having a bit of each than much of only one. Anyway, is a try and err process finding the best setup to suit the game being played and your machine specs/setup.

I'll try to add some speedhacks and see what happens, and I'm trying to change the video plugin as well.

Thanks everybody for answering.

But, about speedhacks, i have a question: If I add them, the game would be speeded up even when it's not lagging, right?
That's not how these "speedhacks" work. They don't increase the maximum speed in hopes of achieving full speed; rather, they lower the load on hardware, both emulated and real, to achieve fullspeed if hardware is not up to par with requirements
Unfortunately you answered (correctly) only my conditional question. The first two were more important:

(12-31-2014, 12:06 AM)willkuer Wrote: What are EE% and GS$ readings during and shortly before and after slowdowns?

The core speed tells you if turbo or downthrottling happens during emulation. If your cpu clock is not constant it is harder to achieve constant fps. Possible producers of unstable clock are as already said turbo mode (overclocking) or temperature throttling (downclocking). Both should be observable using cpu-z.

Still the EE% and GS% values would be interesting. They can be found in the titlebar of the gsdx window.
(01-03-2015, 12:34 PM)Rassane Wrote: That's not how these "speedhacks" work. They don't increase the maximum speed in hopes of achieving full speed; rather, they lower the load on hardware, both emulated and real, to achieve fullspeed if hardware is not up to par with requirements

I didn't get it right, I'll try them anyway and see what happens.

(01-03-2015, 01:55 PM)willkuer Wrote: Unfortunately you answered (correctly) only my conditional question. The first two were more important:

The core speed tells you if turbo or downthrottling happens during emulation. If your cpu clock is not constant it is harder to achieve constant fps. Possible producers of unstable clock are as already said turbo mode (overclocking) or temperature throttling (downclocking). Both should be observable using cpu-z.

Still the EE% and GS% values would be interesting. They can be found in the titlebar of the gsdx window.

Ok, I forgot to mention those readings, but here you can see everything: http://i.imgur.com/3Kdij87.jpg ... The screenshot shows those readings exactly when the game is lagging

And yes, playing The Warriors, lagging still happens even when I'm standing at one spot and are NPCs around; but with Devil May Cry 3 only happens when ''high quality'' textures are shown.

Hope it can help.

By the way, DMC3 looks terrible and so distorted as you can see...
Use software mode with +3 extra rendering threads and, remove any active (or) background process in taskmanager except pcsx2.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
(01-04-2015, 09:08 PM)TraneAlvarez Wrote: The screenshot shows those readings exactly when the game is lagging

The FPS counter shows almost 60FPS. How do you observe and/or define slowdowns?

What kind of speedhacks do you use?