Ratchet & Clank 1 - Framerate high but very unstable
I'm playing R&C 1 on a decently speced machine:
- AMD Phenom II 4.2 GHz
- Radon 6970

Emulator settings:
- Direct3D 11 (Software)
- MTVU Speedhack enabled
- VU Cycle stealing set to 2 (massively improved framerate)
- VSync off

When I run the game like this, the framerate is reported to be a stable ~50, but the games plays much slower, especially in complex areas.

If I disable framelimiting, the game is reported to run at a ~100 and the game plays much too quickly. The framerate also changes a lot between complex and simple areas, but the reported framerate hardly changes.

Keeping framelimiting on and adjusting the base framerate does not affect the game. Even setting the base to 1000 made no difference.

What can I do to have a high framerate while keeping it stable? It is very difficult to play when the game speeds up and slows down so much.

Sponsored links

(08-30-2013, 08:17 AM)Sprakle Wrote: I'm playing R&C 1 on a decently speced machine:
- AMD Phenom II 4.2 GHz
- Radon 6970

Emulator settings:
- Direct3D 11 (Software)
- MTVU Speedhack enabled
- VU Cycle stealing set to 2 (massively improved framerate)
- VSync off

When I run the game like this, the framerate is reported to be a stable ~50, but the games plays much slower, especially in complex areas.

If I disable framelimiting, the game is reported to run at a ~100 and the game plays much too quickly. The framerate also changes a lot between complex and simple areas, but the reported framerate hardly changes.

Keeping framelimiting on and adjusting the base framerate does not affect the game. Even setting the base to 1000 made no difference.

What can I do to have a high framerate while keeping it stable? It is very difficult to play when the game speeds up and slows down so much.
get a quad core @5Ghz.
this game is unfortunately known to be very demanding and AFAIK, it requires a monster PC to work flawlessly (I wonder if this PC even exists nowadays...)
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(08-30-2013, 09:04 AM)jesalvein Wrote: get a quad core @5Ghz.
this game is unfortunately known to be very demanding and AFAIK, it requires a monster PC to work flawlessly (I wonder if this PC even exists nowadays...)

The game already runs at a very high framerate for me (way too fast when not limited), so I don't think a faster computer would help. I need a way to limit the framerate, but the standard framelimiter limits too much, and adjusting the base framerate while limited makes no difference.
the way you are measuring your framerate is wrong since VU cycle stealing tends to fake it.
but if you don't think it's a computer problem, we're all interested in the solution you may offer.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(08-30-2013, 09:21 AM)jesalvein Wrote: the way you are measuring your framerate is wrong since VU cycle stealing tends to fake it.
but if you don't think it's a computer problem, we're all interested in the solution you may offer.

Well why does changing the base framerate not affect the game? If it did, I could simply use turbo and slow mode to compensate for different environments.
The base framerate just tell the emulator what is the reference, the framerate to work with. Think this way, if a car can reach only 80MPH in the plane with a speedometer ranging from 0 to 100MPH, changing the speedometer to show 0 to 1000MPH wont help that much.

PS: You will need a better engine to get more speed consistently. Speedhacks act as tweaking that car to try getting more speed with the weak engine and like in a car that is already making things unstable and unreliable.

PPS: As Jesalvein tried to explain, this specific game is a pain to emulate, it seems to overlook and twist the nose to (solemnly ignoring) all optimizations PCSX2 already implement so claiming for raw brute force from the CPU (and the computer in general).
Imagination is where we are truly real
(08-30-2013, 02:03 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: The base framerate just tell the emulator what is the reference, the framerate to work with. Think this way, if a car can reach only 80MPH in the plane with a speedometer ranging from 0 to 100MPH, changing the speedometer to show 0 to 1000MPH wont help that much.

PS: You will need a better engine to get more speed consistently. Speedhacks act as tweaking that car to try getting more speed with the weak engine and like in a car that is already making things unstable and unreliable.

PPS: As Jesalvein tried to explain, this specific game is a pain to emulate, it seems to overlook and twist the nose to (solemnly ignoring) all optimizations PCSX2 already implement so claiming for raw brute force from the CPU (and the computer in general).

Thanks for the info, I guess I'll just play it at high speeds and improve my reaction time.