Ratchet and Clank
Just had a quick question for anybody who can help. I've been using the 1.6 stable version with EE cycle rate on 180% for the first two ratchet and clank games with zero issues, great performance.
I recently tried upgrading to the nightly version (1.7.4956) and it will not allow me to set the cycle rate to anything higher than 130%. If I do, the emulator just black screens/freezes. Any ideas? 

Ratchet 1 runs great with the 130% rate, feels much smoother on nightly than 1.6 even tho they're both 60 fps. Ratchet: GC however seems to run worse and has been dropping fps whereas on 1.6 stable it has never dropped fps ever. 

Settings: Everything default, vulkan renderer, 4k resolution 
PC specs: 2070s, i9-10850k

Sponsored links

(08-27-2023, 06:26 AM)PS2_RC Wrote: Just had a quick question for anybody who can help. I've been using the 1.6 stable version with EE cycle rate on 180% for the first two ratchet and clank games with zero issues, great performance.
I recently tried upgrading to the nightly version (1.7.4956) and it will not allow me to set the cycle rate to anything higher than 130%. If I do, the emulator just black screens/freezes. Any ideas? 

Ratchet 1 runs great with the 130% rate, feels much smoother on nightly than 1.6 even tho they're both 60 fps. Ratchet: GC however seems to run worse and has been dropping fps whereas on 1.6 stable it has never dropped fps ever. 

Settings: Everything default, vulkan renderer, 4k resolution 
PC specs: 2070s, i9-10850k
By dropping fps, do you mean the game slowing down or the game feeling choppier? (running at 30fps at full speed, because that happens on original hardware as well)

Also i think it might be an issue with that specific game since i tested the EE cycle rate on my machine as well (12600K + 1080) and got the same crashes. so yeah im not sure if theres anything you can do with that Sad

Quick question, why would you need to use the ee cycle rate setting? 10850K is a great cpu that can play pretty much 99% of ps2 games incl. RAC (my old ryzen 5 3600 pc was able to run it at full speed) Does the game slow down for you?
[Image: d58p0hf-c870039b-ef2d-47c9-a6d7-4c26a32998e3.gif]
[Image: dx9ud7-2.png]
(09-04-2023, 09:21 PM)ffviistrife Wrote: By dropping fps, do you mean the game slowing down or the game feeling choppier? (running at 30fps at full speed, because that happens on original hardware as well)

Also i think it might be an issue with that specific game since i tested the EE cycle rate on my machine as well (12600K + 1080) and got the same crashes. so yeah im not sure if theres anything you can do with that Sad

Quick question, why would you need to use the ee cycle rate setting? 10850K is a great cpu that can play pretty much 99% of ps2 games incl. RAC (my old ryzen 5 3600 pc was able to run it at full speed) Does the game slow down for you?

I actually figured out a fix. All R&C games run flawlessly in 4k 60fps on my pc now. Theres a bug with the nightly version which makes the games crash on 180% Cycle rate. All you gotta do is enable "show advanced settings", you can find it under the "tools" drop down menu. Enable "Full VU0 Synchronization" in the "Game Fix" tab in settings and it will fix it. The reason I overclock the EE cycle rate is because it makes the game much smoother, granted you have a powerful enough PC. You will most likely experience lag and slowdowns if you don't set the cycle rate to 180, it helps so much with performance on R&C especially
(09-20-2023, 01:19 AM)PS2_RC Wrote: I actually figured out a fix. All R&C games run flawlessly in 4k 60fps on my pc now. Theres a bug with the nightly version which makes the games crash on 180% Cycle rate. All you gotta do is enable "show advanced settings", you can find it under the "tools" drop down menu. Enable "Full VU0 Synchronization" in the "Game Fix" tab in settings and it will fix it. The reason I overclock the EE cycle rate is because it makes the game much smoother, granted you have a powerful enough PC. You will most likely experience lag and slowdowns if you don't set the cycle rate to 180, it helps so much with performance on R&C especially

Glad you were able to fix it, but i don’t overclock the EE or fiddle with that sort of thing and i don’t get any slowdown, like at all, the game stays locked at full speed even on the most intensive scenes. Granted i have an overclocked 12600K which is stronger than a 10850K.
[Image: d58p0hf-c870039b-ef2d-47c9-a6d7-4c26a32998e3.gif]
[Image: dx9ud7-2.png]
I also have a Ryzen 53600, with an nVidia GTX 1660, 32 gig RAM. 1.6 stable and earlier versions would lag and drop frames horribly whenever I turned to view across the open areas of maps.

Since it had been a while since my last try (the latest nightly build then was no better with R&C) and I just got a couple of USB adapters for PS2 controllers, I decided to try again with the 09/27/2023 nightly build. Yes! Finally! The game is just about 100% smooth. Still getting some frame drops with the highest complexity views but actually playable.

Just tried it again with tonight's nightly and it's *perfect*. Locked on 60FPS, no drops. Smile Switched from Vulkan to DirectX 12, enabled anti-aliasing and sharpening and it looks much better and still solid 60 FPS. Next I need to set it to best use my 2560x1440 32 inch monitor and see if it still plays without dropping frames.