Recording Using PCSX2 {Guide}
(07-03-2013, 04:59 PM)miseru99 Wrote: Fraps does compress video;p, it comes with it's own lousy "fraps1" lossless codec which is somewhat worser from many freeware ones(edit: ok, maybe not "many" since there are few to begin with;p) when it comes to speed/compression ratio not to mention total lack of config and inability to change it with different one.

Probably the biggest problem of default gsdx recording is lack of fps setting ~ 60fps full hd is way too much for a movie. Recording every second frame is way lighter and when uploaded on youtube ends with same quality anyway.

About the guide, one thing sucks - lack of codec description and links to them. They are system dependant, and frankly the Xvid used in the example is one of the worst nowadays;p. I would recommend listing some other ones like x264vfw(probably best out there with nice config), Lagarith Lossless Codec(a freeware equivalent of fraps1 codec) and maybe some others just to give a true choice.

well I'm not a Manual Decoder Tongue2 i don't know every Codec Laugh

yet i will test it and use it and i will put it in the guide Smile

the VFW X.264 is not supported natively by XP Sad

Sponsored links

installed the codec testing it ( however i'm on XP and i don't think it's natively supported on it ... )

sorry for the Double post ...
the codec is awesome Laugh

yet not natively supported i will add it as "optional" Wink

Edit : added another external link for the program Smile
here's another for you too:

http://yadi.sk/d/KPxgT_ac6SdQS
Huh didn't even know it's not supported on XP, through most people actually having a hardware capable of recording stuff of pcsx2 typically have OS fully supporting that hardware ~ like Win7. XP has countless flaws nowadays and only fanboys keep it alive.Tongue

And while you're calling x264vfw an extra optional download, you should probably do same with Xvid you selected in your guide;p, it's included in many codec packs but not everyone has it, since it's a guide ~ aimed at newbies ~ they can get confused by not having it(as a typical noob repeats every step automatically with minimal to none brain usage>.>).
Through maybe I'm just being stupid here as adding any complication will just confuse people who needs to use a guide;p. Gonna shut my mouth since I'm bad at making newbie friendly stuff myself.;X Any guide is cool as long as it helps someone. Have a + for keeping up with my rant.;3

Oh and about Vsub question, like I mentioned Fraps uses compression(lossless) so comparing it to uncompressed is totally bad idea. Uncompressed have huge hdd requirements and 60fps full hd will get hdd limited on most people's systems, on the other hand any kind of compression, even lossless one is heavy on the rest of the system and still might additionally get hdd limited on slower hdd's especially when running game from same one.

GSdx recording is generally twice as heavy as it could be thanks to recording full fps, most games run at 25/30 fps anyway and those 50/60 we see are just virtual ones, also any extra is lost when uploaded to site that limits it like youtube. Untill GSdx officially get's a way to record every second frame(I made an awful, but totally working hack for it once so it's totally doable;p) third party programs can easily win with it. I would say Fraps isn't really a choice for any advanced user since it doesn't allow a choice in codecs nor any serious config in it's own, but it's ok for people that doesn't care;p.
@ miseru99

i'm pretty sure that codec is supported on XP and all modern Windows

and the thing is with FPS recording utility is FPS why in the hell someone want to see my video @ 5FPS ( how i recorded it Tongue )

still thanks for your help Smile ( i will be editing the guide and making it more noob friendly as well Laugh )

@ Saki :

wow that;s a nice website i hope it's free service Smile ( added Wink )