Removal of Custom resolution from GSdx
(09-07-2016, 04:20 PM)billyash Wrote: Some games need custom res e.g Marheaven Arm Fight Dream (J), Urban Reign (PAL-M5). Fixed vertical line by input res 960x960. While 2x res there're vertical lines issues. When upscaling

even on recent dev builds?
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Sponsored links

Yap. Tested on latest svn build. Issue still exist.
Im sorry i often misstype because im using cellphone...Y( '',)Y
I use custom resolution to reduce the blurring of the graphics in various games, like Disgaea and Atelier Iris 3. It also greatly eliminates the god awful aliasing in Tron's world in Kingdom Hearts 2 while simultaneously greatly improving the look of everything in the game (The only glitches that appear in KH2 seem to appear on dialog boxes and maybe the pause menu and even then it is fairly minor). Seriously, Kingdom Hearts 2 looks fantastic with higher internal resolution and soon it will be even better with the sun glare issue being fixed! It also helps greatly improve the look of Outlaw Golf 2.

I would be disappointed to see the functionality disappear, but if its removal is required to improve emulation accuracy then so be it. I just find it really useful in improving my gameplay experience.

Question: Why is this not posted in General Discussion?
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 | Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) | MSI 1070Ti | 16GB 3600MHz RAM
(09-08-2016, 06:01 PM)Franpa Wrote: I use custom resolution to reduce the blurring of the graphics in various games, like Disgaea and Atelier Iris 3. It also greatly eliminates the god awful aliasing in Tron's world in Kingdom Hearts 2 while simultaneously greatly improving the look of everything in the game (The only glitches that appear in KH2 seem to appear on dialog boxes and maybe the pause menu and even then it is fairly minor). Seriously, Kingdom Hearts 2 looks fantastic with higher internal resolution and soon it will be even better with the sun glare issue being fixed! It also helps greatly improve the look of Outlaw Golf 2.
The blurring problem should be solved with scaling in the recent builds i think? Not sure about the boxes around things, I have a suspicion that was recently fixed too.

Hopefully there should be no reason for you to need custom resolution anymore.

(09-08-2016, 08:37 PM)refraction Wrote: The blurring problem should be solved with scaling in the recent builds i think? Not sure about the boxes around things, I have a suspicion that was recently fixed too.

Hopefully there should be no reason for you to need custom resolution anymore.

The problem with dialog boxes is they'd have black horizontal or vertical lines occasionally above or below the font. It was a pretty minor/none issue, it seemed to occur in a variety of games when increasing the internal resolution and is easily ignorable during gameplay.

Improvements that reduce blurring I'd need to see for myself before I can be convinced that the improvement is significant. As far as I can tell the blur is actually the game assets themselves that are blurred (devs scaled their assets with awful bilinear filtering or some such maybe) and not a issue with how PCSX2 is rendering stuff, unsure why increasing the internal rendering resolution would improve the fidelity of something intentionally blurred but it does have that effect (Maybe the blur is a post-process?). Other games like Kingdom Hearts 2, Outlaw Golf 2 etc. do not have any blurry graphics (They have aliased graphics though!) which is why I feel like the assets themselves are blurred in Disgaea and Atelier Iris 3 (Then again, Atelier Iris 3 and Disgaea use sprites for a lot of stuff where as the other 2 games I mentioned don't so it is possible PCSX2 is having problems rendering sprites correctly).

I do own all the games mentioned by me on the PS2 and have an actual PS2, however Disgaea won't render correctly on my TV unless I use Composite (and maybe S-Video, I don't have a PS2 S-Video cable yet) and using Composite A/V is a terrible, terrible idea as everything is a blurry mess Tongue, I can probably do a comparison of the physical games and the emulator to see if PCSX2 is significantly worse or better than the actual console when it comes to the games that make heavy use of sprites.

The other reason I like increasing the internal rendering resolution is it greatly improves the visual fidelity of distant objects in games that don't make heavy use of sprites. So increased visual fidelity of distant objects, drastically reduced aliasing, general fidelity improvements etc. are why I would like to see the option remain available. If the PCSX2 developers are just trying to stop people using the option than I would propose making it a config file option/remove it from the UI so that those that do enjoy it and are aware of its problems can continue to use it. If the coding is actually stopping the implementation of improvements to the emulation than I guess remove the functionality.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 | Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) | MSI 1070Ti | 16GB 3600MHz RAM
There is an hidden option, put "linear_present = 0" in GSdx.ini that might help to reduce blurriness with big up-scaling.
(09-09-2016, 06:06 AM)Franpa Wrote: The problem with dialog boxes is they'd have black horizontal or vertical lines occasionally above or below the font. It was a pretty minor/none issue, it seemed to occur in a variety of games when increasing the internal resolution and is easily ignorable during gameplay.

Improvements that reduce blurring I'd need to see for myself before I can be convinced that the improvement is significant. As far as I can tell the blur is actually the game assets themselves that are blurred (devs scaled their assets with awful bilinear filtering or some such maybe) and not a issue with how PCSX2 is rendering stuff, unsure why increasing the internal rendering resolution would improve the fidelity of something intentionally blurred but it does have that effect (Maybe the blur is a post-process?). Other games like Kingdom Hearts 2, Outlaw Golf 2 etc. do not have any blurry graphics (They have aliased graphics though!) which is why I feel like the assets themselves are blurred in Disgaea and Atelier Iris 3 (Then again, Atelier Iris 3 and Disgaea use sprites for a lot of stuff where as the other 2 games I mentioned don't so it is possible PCSX2 is having problems rendering sprites correctly).

I do own all the games mentioned by me on the PS2 and have an actual PS2, however Disgaea won't render correctly on my TV unless I use Composite (and maybe S-Video, I don't have a PS2 S-Video cable yet) and using Composite A/V is a terrible, terrible idea as everything is a blurry mess Tongue, I can probably do a comparison of the physical games and the emulator to see if PCSX2 is significantly worse or better than the actual console when it comes to the games that make heavy use of sprites.

The other reason I like increasing the internal rendering resolution is it greatly improves the visual fidelity of distant objects in games that don't make heavy use of sprites. So increased visual fidelity of distant objects, drastically reduced aliasing, general fidelity improvements etc. are why I would like to see the option remain available. If the PCSX2 developers are just trying to stop people using the option than I would propose making it a config file option/remove it from the UI so that those that do enjoy it and are aware of its problems can continue to use it. If the coding is actually stopping the implementation of improvements to the emulation than I guess remove the functionality.

Well you wills till be able to upscale, you just will be using the Native x# options rather than putting a custom resolution in Tongue

Oh! Is this topic specifically discussing the ability to manually input a resolution of your choice, like entering the numbers for each dimension yourself instead of choosing from the list? If so then I misunderstood what this topic was about and you can ignore my posts.
Computer specifications:
(09-09-2016, 06:41 PM)Franpa Wrote: Oh! Is this topic specifically discussing the ability to manually input a resolution of your choice, like entering the numbers for each dimension yourself instead of choosing from the list? If so then I misunderstood what this topic was about and you can ignore my posts.

Correct Smile We would never remove scaling completely! That's one of the bonuses of the emulator Smile

For the people that just want to "Open and play" without much tweaking, they should leave "Native" checked, rendering higher internal resolutions, costs a lot! emulating by native means is already costly anyway, so avoiding extra stress is very welcome.