Removal of Custom resolution from GSdx
well no but as we have seen making larger RT's does reduce performance even if memory isn't being exhausted, so on low end APU's/IGP's being able to half the res can prove advantageous.

That said, if the Texture Cache is going to be changed to render at texture size rather than RT size at some point, that is going to be massively quicker anyway.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Sponsored links

(07-21-2015, 04:57 PM)ssakash Wrote: how would that avoid usage of the shader ? It would still use the same interpolation on textures.

You mean on that
Quote: 1/ It uses shader to (badly) interpolate the texture

vs

Quote:1/ a raw texture copy (avoid to use shader for nothing)

In first case you draw a quad and for each pixels you fetch 4 pixels and do some interpolations and then copy it into the output pixels.

In seconds case, you just run a dma from texture X to texture Y. No need to setup the full pipeline, no need to interpolate anything, kinda a memcpy on the GPU.
@Refraction
oops, I misunderstood your post. well the last time I used a G31 chipset on my old Core2duo and anything below native had pretty much no improvement in performance. The G31 doesn't even support Opengl 2.0 and DX11 and it is a super bad card and if even that doesn't benefit from a lower than native resolution, I don't think any GPU would in such specific scenario.

@gregory
Yeah, I was talking about your idea.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
(07-21-2015, 05:03 PM)refraction Wrote: well no but as we have seen making larger RT's does reduce performance even if memory isn't being exhausted, so on low end APU's/IGP's being able to half the res can prove advantageous.

That said, if the Texture Cache is going to be changed to render at texture size rather than RT size at some point, that is going to be massively quicker anyway.
Hum, it could be linked to other operation. Like a clear of the RT or a memory transfer. I would really love to have some fps on native vs 2x vs custom resolution on low end IGP.
Is is used for multiple monitors?

I suggest if you want to save GUI space, to make it an editable combobox, where the drop-down values are 1-6, but you can write in the box any multiplier with fraction to make it custom. You'll have both functions in one place.
I don't think it's purpose is to save GUI space, it's to improve code quality, and also provide a (small?) speedboost on current hardware.

It's a shame that most the people who would use lower than native probably will never read this thread.

Would a pole in general or chatterbox help get feedback?
Intel Core i7-8700k @5ghz
G.Skill 16GB DDR4 @3600mhz
GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
Windows 10 x64
(07-21-2015, 05:35 PM)hellbringer616 Wrote: I don't think it's purpose is to save GUI space, it's to improve code quality, and also provide a (small?) speedboost on current hardware.

Yep this is correct, it's a code quality and an ease of handling upscaling hacks. Upscaling using custom resolution is pretty much impossible to do correctly and it causes an array of problems which then require more hacks to resolve and it starts getting very messy to try and keep both options functional.

I would say add 0.5 and 0.75 to the list and remove custom resolution...
as for the future implementation I don't actually see the conflict here, the rescaling of RT could also be avoided when the users use a custom resolution. also the Implementation of custom resolution is only a few lines really except some exclusive stuffs which were done for Snowblind games.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
(07-21-2015, 06:03 PM)ssakash Wrote: Implementation of custom resolution is only a few lines really except some exclusive stuffs which were done for Snowblind games.
Yes but the hacks to make sure it doesn't break anything are in the hundreds of lines.