Replacing Pete's plugin with GDSX in PCSXR?
Hi guys. is it possible to use any of the GDSX plugins with PCSX-Reloaded playstation 1 emulator? If not, what is the best DirectX plugin to get for it? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored links

No, and PCSX reloaded is old, there are a lot of better play station 1 emulators.
Specs: Intel Pentium P5 @ 60 Mhz, 1 Gigabyte HDD, OS: DOS
(05-14-2013, 03:48 AM)ItsGreat Wrote: No, and PCSX reloaded is old, there are a lot of better play station 1 emulators.

Incorrect. I've been doing it for ages. Just place the plugin on the plugins folder.
(05-14-2013, 04:07 AM)VIRGIN KLM Wrote: Incorrect. I've been doing it for ages. Just place the plugin on the plugins folder.

Virgins....I put the plug in into my plugins folder and you're right, PCSXR does see them! Cool! But....I am only allowed to select D3D *software* mode, and there's no option for hardware mode. Can you shed some light on what's going on?
It probably only supports software emulation, but it's probably fast enough for PS1 emulators.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(05-14-2013, 10:45 AM)refraction Wrote: It probably only supports software emulation, but it's probably fast enough for PS1 emulators.

Probably but it's a pity that we can't use real higher scaling.
(05-14-2013, 01:54 PM)xemnas99 Wrote: Probably but it's a pity that we can't use real higher scaling.

Yeah, GSDX only supports software mode in PS1 emus. The problem is with how the PS1 handles 3D graphics in general, hardware scaling can only do so much, and often makes games look worse. With nothing to handle sub-pixel rendering, the models get "jumpy" and generally look like ass.

Pete's software plugin is (arguably) still the best PS1 graphics plugin. There are plenty of full screen filtering options that mark the jaggies without completely destroying the look of most games. You can try his OpenGL2 version if you must have hardware scaling, it has several optional shaders you can get (and more you can download if you do some google searching) but most won't give "perfect" results and generally make HUD elements look like poo.
[Image: 2748844.png]
(05-14-2013, 05:11 PM)Koji Wrote: Yeah, GSDX only supports software mode in PS1 emus. The problem is with how the PS1 handles 3D graphics in general, hardware scaling can only do so much, and often makes games look worse. With nothing to handle sub-pixel rendering, the models get "jumpy" and generally look like ass.

Pete's software plugin is (arguably) still the best PS1 graphics plugin. There are plenty of full screen filtering options that mark the jaggies without completely destroying the look of most games. You can try his OpenGL2 version if you must have hardware scaling, it has several optional shaders you can get (and more you can download if you do some google searching) but most won't give "perfect" results and generally make HUD elements look like poo.

I agree. I went back to Pete's OGL plugin after being disappointed with with what I was seeing from GDSX in software mode. Doesn't have NEARLY the amount of options Pete's has.

Still playing around with Petes but one thing I can say for certain with regards to Koji's comment about the shaders....after discovering SweetFX I have figured out a way to get it working with PCSX using a wrapper and let me tell you....it does WONDERS to the image depending on which post processing effect you use. I know Pete's plugin has an option to turn on scanlines, but the "Old arcade CRT Monitor" shader from sweetfx is much better. It literally gives the picture a true retro crt arcade display look and you can adjust a ton of things from the scanline intensity to the sepia to the hue, etc. Furthermore, it has FXAA and SSA support which also helps aliasing problems. I applied sweetfx to PCSX and played Ridge Racer Type 4 and the difference was night and day. Try it.

One more thing.....Koji can you please share what your settings are in Pete's OpenGL plugin under "Textures"? Mainly the Texture Quality, Texture Filterng and HiRes Textures options? I have all three on the highest settings. Is this recommended or does it hurt the picture IYO?
PS1 doesn't do any filtering, when you apply texture filtering in a lot of games you end up with them looking very "tile"y for lack of a better term. Sprite filtering is usually pretty safe, though on some games it can screw the font up.

I'm interesting to see some pics of how sweet FX looks on it. With the scanline filter especially, you could probably just disable filtering altogether.
[Image: 2748844.png]
(05-17-2013, 02:33 AM)Koji Wrote: I'm interesting to see some pics of how sweet FX looks on it. With the scanline filter especially, you could probably just disable filtering altogether.

Try it dude Smile I ran RRType 4 with the crt filter and it looked pretty darn good Biggrin