Resolved: Assertion failed: Unhandled page fault @ 0x0000000

Whenever I try to start the emulator, an error dialog appears with the title "Assertion failed: Unhandled page fault @ 0x0000000" and the following contents:
Code:
pcsx2-build/common/src/Utilities/Linux/LnxHostSys.cpp(63) : assertion failed:
    Function:  void SysPageFaultSignalFilter(int, siginfo_t*, void*)
    Thread:    MTGS
    Condition: false

Stacktrace:
[00] 0x0xf0084aa1                                
[01] 0x0xf026e740                                
[02] 0x0xf0093d6f                                
[03] 0x0xf0082143                                
[04] 0x0xf02a33fa                                
[05] 0x0xf0167e96                                
[06] 0x0xf01606b6                                
[07] 0x0xf01298ab                                
[08] 0x0xf012cd01                                
[09] 0x0xf216033b                                
[10] 0x0xf21605ea                                
[11] SDL_UnlockTexture                          
[12] GSDeviceSDL::Present(GSTexture*, GSTexture*, GSVector4 const&, int)
[13] GSDevice::Present(GSVector4i const&, int)  
[14] GSRenderer::VSync(int)                      
[15] GSRendererSW::VSync(int)                    
[16] GSvsync

This happens if I try to boot in full or fast mode, and also with no disc. The above error appears when using GSdx. When using ZZ Ogl, the same error appears, but without the stack trace. The emulator runs fine when using GSnull (except for the lack of video, obviously Tongue).

I've tries builds 4999, 4990 and 4980 as well as the stable 0.9.8, and they all give the same error. The weird thing is though that it worked fine a couple of days ago, so I'm assuming it's from an update to one of PCSX2's dependencies. I've tried deleting all my settings and starting from the default, but that didn't work. I'll have a look and see if I can work out what has been updated in the last couple of days.

EDIT: lib32-glibc was updated yesterday (20th Dec), and I'm thinking that might be the culprit?

Sponsored links

Did you update you graphics driver recently ?
No, they're the same version as when it worked. I'm using the open source drivers, but that shouldn't matter since I got the emulator working a few days ago and my drivers haven't changed. I think there may have been some updates to a part of X, I'm not sure.
Could you try a debug build. It might print more usefull information rather than some stupid number!
the open source drivers are notorious for working one day and failing the next, use the latest proprietary drivers
The opensource driver work very well (mesa 7.11). They don't support OGL3 so they don't work with zzogl but they work nicely with GSdx.

Try the debug build, and try to install the debugging symbol of glibc. Last understandable call is SDL_UnlockTexture which probably play with lock and so glibc stuff.
(12-22-2011, 07:17 AM)Squall Leonhart Wrote: the open source drivers are notorious for working one day and failing the next, use the latest proprietary drivers

The proprietary drivers don't work straight out of the box for me, and I don't really want to tinker getting them to work when I know an open source option has worked in the past.

(12-22-2011, 10:35 AM)gregory Wrote: The opensource driver work very well (mesa 7.11). They don't support OGL3 so they don't work with zzogl but they work nicely with GSdx.

Try the debug build, and try to install the debugging symbol of glibc. Last understandable call is SDL_UnlockTexture which probably play with lock and so glibc stuff.

How do I get the debug build? I assume it's a compile time option.
-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug

See http://code.google.com/p/pcsx2/wiki/Comp...deForLinux for others options. By the way I'm not sure recent GSdx revision are still working
(12-22-2011, 10:45 PM)gregory Wrote: -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug

See http://code.google.com/p/pcsx2/wiki/Comp...deForLinux for others options. By the way I'm not sure recent GSdx revision are still working

I tried older revisions and it still didn't work. Like I said, I think I updated something else which broke PCSX2. I'll compile pcsx2 with the debug option and get back with the results.

Edit: turns out I already had the option enabled. I've been installing PCSX2 using this PKGBUILD (a PKGBUILD is basically a build script to make Arch Linux packages).

I think I might try downgrading glibc and if that doesn't work then I'll try building it with debug symbols.

Edit2: Downgrading glibc and lib32-glibc didn't work on both revision 5007 and the latest stable (built with this PKGBUILD). I'll try the glibc debug symbols tomorrow.
Thank you for your report.
This bug report has now been marked as Resolved since it has been fixed on our code base.

This thread will now be closed and moved to the resolved bug reports subforum.