Resolved: [Bug Report] Legendz Gekitou! Saga Battle [NTSC-J]
# PCSX2 version: Official v1.2.0 release
# CPU options: EE/IOP defaults, VUs defaults, speedhacks off; changing any setting has no discernible effect
# Plugins used: GSdx 0.1.16 rev 5864 (hardware and software, dx11), SPU2-X v2 rev 5830
# Description: Game name is incorrectly reported as "Legions Gekitou! Saga Battle" (SLPS-25427). Game runs and loads slow, even though it says it's running at 60FPS. Setting base framerate to 400% fixes it, but makes the sound and movies too fast. Tried adjusting various settings and speedhacks with no change, using both European and Japanese BIOS. Also, perhaps it's worth mentioning that it used to run fine in some really ancient version (0.9.1, I think).

Sponsored links

slowness isn't a bug.
moved out of bug reports.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
Well, I have a Core i7-4770 with a Geforce GTX 760, and the CPU is at barely 10% utilization while the game is running really choppy. I thought that would qualify as a bug.
It's possible this game needs a more powerful machine.
so no, it can't be considered as a valid bug report , as said in the stickies.
(02-10-2014, 08:17 PM)jesalvein Wrote: It's possible this game needs a more powerful machine.

What do you mean? A more powerful emulated PS2? I mean, I can run Ratchet & Clank 3 just fine, while this game lags as soon as it starts up, even when showing the company logo (a single image). Although only "ingame" graphics seem to be affected, because sound effects and movies play perfectly, just delayed.

Plus, I mentioned that it used to run faster with an older version (and on a much weaker computer).
(02-10-2014, 08:46 PM)arclight Wrote: What do you mean? A more powerful emulated PS2? I mean, I can run Ratchet & Clank 3 just fine, while this game lags as soon as it starts up, even when showing the company logo (a single image). Although only "ingame" graphics seem to be affected, because sound effects and movies play perfectly, just delayed.

Plus, I mentioned that it used to run faster with an older version (and on a much weaker computer).
This is normal.
This emulator's goal is accuracy. as time passes and the emulator evolves, emulation becomes more accurate. and thus needs more raw power.
Looks like Ratchet & Clank 3 is less demanding than this game.
It's as simple as that.

Oh, and BTW :
Krakatos Wrote:Speed issues are usually NOT a bug, unless the fluctuation is extreme (speed drops from 60 FPS to 30 FPS do not count as significant -- speed drops from 60 FPS to 4 FPS are considered significant).
Please always try out the latest beta before posting a bug report.
I've read the FAQ, but I still think this is an unusual case, as out of all the games I've tried to run, this was the only one to exhibit this problem.

Isn't there a chance that, since this is a considerably obscure game which probably wasn't tested by the PCSX2 team, it's doing something differently that you haven't seen before? Maybe fixing this problem could fix a few other games as well?

(BTW, I just tried the latest SVN build. It's still choppy.)
(02-10-2014, 07:30 PM)arclight Wrote: Also, perhaps it's worth mentioning that it used to run fine in some really ancient version (0.9.1, I think).

you could try all revs from that one until you find the one where it started getting worse so developers can solve the problem
(02-10-2014, 09:59 PM)c4537343 Wrote: you could try all revs from that one until you find the one where it started getting worse so developers can solve the problem

Thanks for the suggestion.

I just went through the official releases and apparently whatever is causing it happened not that long ago, because the game works all the way up to 0.9.8 (r4600), and starts lagging in 1.0.0 (r5350).

I'll try to see if I can narrow it down even more.
Exclamation 
FOUND IT!

The issue first occurs in revision 4624. And it looks like that's when changes were made to the way the screen gets updated!

I had to do quite a bit of manual compilation since this rev was older than the last one on the list of builds (coincidence??? ... maybe Biggrin).