Resolved: [Bug Report] Shin Megami Tensei - Persona 4 NTSC SLUS 21782
[Bug Report] Shin Megami Tensei Persona 4 [NTSC-U]

# PCSX2 version: PCSX2 1.3.0 5, June, 2014 GIT
# CPU options: Tested Defaults and Extra modes
# Plugins used: Standard GSdx, SPU2x, lilypad
# Description:

When switching from hardware to software mode or vice versa, PCSX2 will crash about 25% of the time. I tested this thoroughly, with and without widescreen hacks, various settings, etc. Standard speedhacks enabled only(originally MTVU but also tried without).

It will also happen when using Pause/Resume from the system menu.

To cause the bug:

Boot Persona 4. Press F9 to switch from hardware to software. Repeat. Eventually it will crash.

I also tested it with other games and it seems limited to Persona 4. If you SPAM F9, it will crash in any game but I think that's to be expected. I confirmed it was unique to P4 by waiting 10 seconds between each press.

Edit: As noted down below, the bug does NOT happen when "Use Synchronized MTGS" is enabled.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD

Sponsored links

Could changing renderers be causing a syncing issue? Also try without any speedhacks at all including the recommended ones as well.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
Just tried with entire speedhacks panel disabled. Happened on 5th press of F9.
Code:
Overall 0 Widescreen hacks loaded
Loading patch 'DEDC3B71.pnach' from archive 'C:\Users\Blyss Sarania\Desktop\Emulation\PS2\cheats_ws.zip'
(Wide Screen Cheats DB) Patches Loaded: 57
Suspending single plugin: GS
    Saving GS
    Closing GS
Recovering single plugin: GS
    Opening GS
        Forced software switch enabled.
    Loading GS
Overall 0 Widescreen hacks loaded
Loading patch 'DEDC3B71.pnach' from archive 'C:\Users\Blyss Sarania\Desktop\Emulation\PS2\cheats_ws.zip'
(Wide Screen Cheats DB) Patches Loaded: 57
Suspending single plugin: GS
    Saving GS
    Closing GS
Recovering single plugin: GS
    Opening GS
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
An...Just not switch from hardware to software in the middle of the game.
Keep only with the best mode for you. Biggrin
BIG FIND:

It does not happen if you enable "Use Synchronized MTGS" in the GS tab!

So it is a desync issue of some kind I think!
MTGS or Multi Threaded Graphics Synthesizer?
I believe that's what it stands for yes.
None of the acronyms in pcsx2 are hard to break apart. Like SPURS (SPU Runtime Environment) isn't easy to remember
Hmm can you try the last SVN build, I suspect it will be ok. There were sone changes made to MTGS soon after the swap
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

So I tried the last SVN (r5927) and you are right, it does not happen. In fact completely spamming F9 doesn't break it, either. Recall in the first post I said spamming F9 crashed it in many games I tried. So it looks like there was a bug introduced in the MTGS changes, and it's not unique to Persona 4, but just worse and more apparent in it.