SPU2-X 1.5!
Hey guys,
In light of recent fixes and additions we prepared a new SPU2-X release for you Smile

This one focuses on SPU2 emulation accuracy but there's also the much requested volume adjustment feature included.
You can now try a fake SPU2 reverb mode that may sound better than the (still somewhat broken) original reverb.

Emulation improvments:
- Reverb engine reviewed and mostly rewritten.
- Initialisation modified to reflect test results, including a critical portion of the BIOS initialisation sequence to support fast boot.
- Hardware reset feature removed because tests failed to prove its existence.
- Possible null pointer access eliminated.
- Added support for reading KON and KOF registers, which is used in the BIOS.
- Improved voice loop logic based on tests.
- Constantly mix the input area and generate IRQs from accessing it.

Among the fixed games are titles such as:
- F1 2005
- Burnout in-game music
- Tomb Raider (the whole series)
- Spyro the Dragon
- Gauntlet Dark Legacy
- Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver 2
- etc

Hope you enjoy, and please report all (new) bugs if you find them!

Sponsored links

Sweet.
Is there a reason why FFX sounds flat, even more than the last release? What settings should I use to get more reverb?
Custom Desktop
CPU: Haswell Core i7 4770 3.40 GHz (3.90 GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
CPU Instructions: MMX, SSE1, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1,
SSE4.2, EIST, iAMT2, Trusted Execution Technology (TXT)  
RAM: 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM
HDD: 3 x 1 TB Western Digital HDD
Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 970 4 GB GDDR5
Audio: Realtek 5.1 HD Audio
thanks Smile
looking forward a GSDX release
(06-17-2011, 03:19 AM)nintendo85 Wrote: Is there a reason why FFX sounds flat, even more than the last release? What settings should I use to get more reverb?

because you use a crappy realtek hd chip?

....no, im being very serious here.
That shouldn't make a difference, as previous versions had some form of reverb; here's my configuration - [Image: SPU2-X150.jpg]
And here's a sound recording from both 1.4.0 (revision 4600, which was packaged when 0.9.8 was released) and 1.5.0, which was released yesterday.

1.4.0 r4600 - http://www.filefactory.com/file/ccebf1c/...rb_x4).mp3

1.5.0 r4747 - http://www.filefactory.com/file/ccebf1e/...tings).mp3

And

1.5.0 r4747 w/Custom SPU enabled - http://www.filefactory.com/file/ccebf46/...Reverb.mp3

This is the only sound card I have and absolutely refuse to get a new one, as I doubt it'll make any difference. I can play XAudio2 just fine and refuse to use Direct Sound (as I have Windows 7). Suggestions? This doesn't make any sense to me, how can one version have some reverb while the newest one not? Upgrade the sound card? I don't even know if the company exists anymore.

I HAVE TRIED BOTH SPU MODES!
Custom Desktop
Try setting interpolation to the default (catmull-rom), and maybe changing the reverb option to "custom reverb", may sound better. Additionally r4600 had the "reverb boost option", perhaps you were using that?
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
(06-17-2011, 05:01 PM)Shadow Lady Wrote: Try setting interpolation to the default (catmull-rom), and maybe changing the reverb option to "custom reverb", may sound better. Additionally r4600 had the "reverb boost option", perhaps you were using that?

Yeah, I was using the Reverb Boost option in the old version. With the catmull interpolation it still sounds the same. How does it sound on your end? Do you notice any reverb at all? Should it be at Timestretching or Async? Oh, and turning off/on Effects Processing makes no difference as far as reverb goes. Could you be so kind as to record a game's sound and let me know how it is (i.e. FFX)? Custom Reverb and SPU2 modes don't make a difference. This is starting to piss me off.

Here's my SPU2-X config file - http://www.filefactory.com/file/cceb570/n/SPU2-X.ini

What needs to be changed?

If I can get other people to post sound recordings I can get a good idea of what 1.5.0 is SUPPOSED to sound like.
Custom Desktop
If you have actual surround system you could try it (like 5.1 in a home theater). Catmull should enhance the bass and highs and should be kept.

Although I hadn't enough time to in depth test the new plugin yet, it sounded good on a light test with Xenosaga II (I did not pass the first screen to listen it in actual play yet, will do later).

To me the plugin is nicely balanced, I can't imagine why you ever set that reverb boost, maybe the sound card is doing a difference (mine is a X-Fi titanium).
Imagination is where we are truly real
Finally F1-2005 fixed. Thanks Rama. I know I have bugged you about this one for so long. Smile