SPU2-X v2
@rama. yeh. fine. i don't need that things anyway. i only play the games. and right now everything works. Laugh

@klm. yep. maybe. i played/observed and dumped 15 minutes dmc. core0 is entirely locked to ambient sound - which is random free channel allocation - and cutscene streaming. i didn't check if that one cutscene i played is identical. i guess not since it's been running fluid in from ambient sound. could be random too. on the other side all ingame sounds and some action music are handled by core1 which is random too ofc.

anyway... you can't pin that. some games might stream complete cutscene audio from a single stream. also you can't control the random channel allocation for ingame sounds, so... doing any special effects with it is pretty hard. perhaps the exreme you could locate the samples in memory and base an algorithm on that. but here's the problem to know if the sample locations are always the same. it might be random memory allocation too.

Sponsored links

I'm pretty sure though that music and eveything else is being handled differently in PS2. So you could divide everything music related to rear channels and everything else to front. All psf2 music files come with channel information out of the box which is the info that is needed to determine a sample on wich channel it is. You could pass that info so a channel is being played on a single voice which will always be available traffic wise since this is the idea of the channel of a music track (start will never collinde with an end of a sample).
how is it handled differently? Laugh my example is emulated. it's exactly how it works. the samples get stored in memory like a sound bank and most off the music is played back like a midi track. that's also basicly what psf2 is about. it's a recorded "midi" stream with an attached soundbank.

another technique is to allocate 2 channel voices and stream/dma adpcm samples to buffers. but you never know what voices are allocated for every game.

3rd case is the music is in pcm format like a cd and is autodmaed to the mixer.

the latter is the case where you can highjack and mute or replace it. but...

everything else is rather impossible to control.
(05-15-2013, 01:25 AM)VIRGIN KLM Wrote: I'm pretty sure though that music and eveything else is being handled differently in PS2. So you could divide everything music related to rear channels and everything else to front. All psf2 music files come with channel information out of the box which is the info that is needed to determine a sample on wich channel it is. You could pass that info so a channel is being played on a single voice which will always be available traffic wise since this is the idea of the channel of a music track (start will never collinde with an end of a sample).

Shouldn't it be the other way with music in the front and sounds in the 2 side/2 back speakers. IIRC usually 5.1 setups have the instrumental in the stereo channels, voice/some sound effects in the middle, then all the rest in the back speakers with the back sounding like the front but in a low pass filter of sorts.

(05-15-2013, 02:35 AM)xstyla Wrote: how is it handled differently? Laugh my example is emulated. it's exactly how it works. the samples get stored in memory like a sound bank and most off the music is played back like a midi track. that's also basicly what psf2 is about. it's a recorded "midi" stream with an attached soundbank.

another technique is to allocate 2 channel voices and stream/dma adpcm samples to buffers. but you never know what voices are allocated for every game.

3rd case is the music is in pcm format like a cd and is autodmaed to the mixer.

the latter is the case where you can highjack and mute or replace it. but...

everything else is rather impossible to control.

It would be a dream if I was able to replace the ADPCM tracks with the PCM tracks from the CD
(05-15-2013, 05:15 AM)jadentheman Wrote: Shouldn't it be the other way with music in the front and sounds in the 2 side/2 back speakers. IIRC usually 5.1 setups have the instrumental in the stereo channels, voice/some sound effects in the middle, then all the rest in the back speakers with the back sounding like the front but in a low pass filter of sorts.

i've heard different 5.1 setups. the best was generic music stereo extended. means quadrafonic. and it ends up playing kinda precisely from the sides with a slight shift forward or backward (depends on the speaker distance). center is for for dialogues and "in the view" sounds. all the other effects sound great spacial and echoed or some kinda over the quad. you can even do spatial echoes and stuff with voices and the view sounds. that sounds amazing.
I love pondering with the possible usages these emulators can give to modernize our old PS2 games.

Think if we are able to throw the PCM stream from the official OST of a PS2 game and have that stream go through it's respective channel in the 5.1 mixing Closedeyes
(05-17-2013, 07:52 AM)jadentheman Wrote: I love pondering with the possible usages these emulators can give to modernize our old PS2 games.

Think if we are able to throw the PCM stream from the official OST of a PS2 game and have that stream go through it's respective channel in the 5.1 mixing Closedeyes

when you found a way to tell the plugin when it's gotta play a specific song and what adpcm channels to mute automaticly you gonna tell us... right?

for now you have spunull and a music player of your choice. Wink manual channel muting is something one could make work tho. Laugh
If I knew how to code I would have accepted this challenge months ago Sad

The world needs more programmers
Random question, do you guys think that at one point, this plugin will help games like Final Fantasy X sound better (as in more reverb and correct sound effects, i.e when you swap characters in-battle) Square Enix games seem to sound kinda flat when it comes to reverberation. Weird question, I know, but I recall FFX and other SE games to sound a little more echo-y.
Custom Desktop
CPU: Haswell Core i7 4770 3.40 GHz (3.90 GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
CPU Instructions: MMX, SSE1, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1,
SSE4.2, EIST, iAMT2, Trusted Execution Technology (TXT)  
RAM: 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM
HDD: 3 x 1 TB Western Digital HDD
Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 970 4 GB GDDR5
Audio: Realtek 5.1 HD Audio
(10-15-2013, 09:41 AM)nintendo85 Wrote: Random question, do you guys think that at one point, this plugin will help games like Final Fantasy X sound better (as in more reverb and correct sound effects, i.e when you swap characters in-battle) Square Enix games seem to sound kinda flat when it comes to reverberation. Weird question, I know, but I recall FFX and other SE games to sound a little more echo-y.

I thought the reverb settings on spu2-x already had a "normal" and "insane reverb" style setting?
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]