SPU2-X v2
Hi,

This is a dev only question.

I was mainly drawn to posting here due to the reverb code used. I was wondering if its feasible for it to be abstracted into one that is not so directly tied to the plugin.

For instance, I have been looking for a decent reverberation model for one of my own works. Currently I am using a filter based on the Schroeder-Moorer model with the usual comb and allpass filters. However I am looking for other models to try without resorting to convolution based reverb (which requires outside files which hold the convolver data. And then it won't be reverb code, just a convolver, which is done to death).

So, I was kinda hoping if your code is malleable for a arbritrary interface (one in C that has pointers for data in, data out, and length of input and output data) suitable for a music player component. If not, I will just continue my search.

Thanks for reading.

Sponsored links

Is it just me, or did the SPU squeaks/pops disappear in SVN 592? Or are they still there just not as frequent?
Quote:SPU2-X: Fix for bleepy sounds in FFX / FFXII. Apparently effects processing is
much more sensitive to tight SPU2/IOP sync than any other part of the SPU2.
(good to know!) rev 574
since then it's fixed for me
| i7 860 2.8@4ghz | Scythe Mugen 2 Rev.B | Asus Maximus Formula III | G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Gigabyte | 570 GTX AMP! | Enermax 720w PSU | X-Fi Titan | OCZ Vertex 120 GB |
whoa!
the latest SVN is awesome, Square games sounds great now.

what i suggest for later SVNs

- a volume slider to manually adjust the volume and even boost it to more than just 100%
- threading, to allow SPU-X to run on the GS thread just like Lillypad can, is that possible?

edit:
oouch ....

bug found:
try the lightning spell in KH1, loud crackling hurt my ears..

Main Rig: i7-3770k @4.5ghz | 16GB DDR3 | Nvidia GTX 980 TI | Win 10 X64
Laptop: MSI GT62VR | i7-6700HQ | 16GB DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1060 | Win 10 X64

I'm wondering how much people are interested by the cubic interpolation ?
Seems that developers do not wish to make lot of efforts for this option.
That's a pity.

I remind that for every emulators I've been using, I was always seeking the best interpolation option ,
to get the best sound.
As you can see,noone but you bothered with it Tongue
[Image: newsig.jpg]
The best interpolation isn't necessarily the best sound. In some SNES emulators, if you turn up the interpolation to the best setting, you get what sounds like someone sticking a cloth pad between your speakers and your ear. Sound interpolation was almost a necessity back when SNES emulators were some of the most advanced around because the sound hardware in that system compared to a modern PC sound card was like comparing the graphics of the game Pong to Far Cry but not so much now because they're writing emulators for more advanced hardware that doesn't sound like crap. I'd like to explain this better but I can't without trying to talk out of my ass, but would enjoy listening to someone's opinion/overview of why emulating the sound chip produces sound distinctly different from that of the real hardware and why sometimes interpolation makes such a difference.
well,
there's no point in offering a better interpolation method like cubic,
and get worse results than just linear. And if you get worse results, it's not necessarily because using cubic is wrong, but also because implementation is wrong. Anyway, I was a bit "shocked" when Jake said about cubic:

Quote:I never bothered to test it beyond a few seconds to make sure it didn't sound like total noise

Better remove it, if it's for a broken support Closedeyes

Also for your information , there is different "cubic" interpolation,
and I believe you can't have general assertion like the sound is "duller" or whatever, unless all emulators use the same cubic formula Glare
There are obviously way more important issues here than using interpolation to make sound quality better.When games have scratching sounds,wrong effects,wrong volumes etc,I wouldn't bother with interpolation either if I was coding it.
No one forces you to enable it,now that you know it doesn't work,switch to linear or none...it's that simple.
Edit: I do agree removing it or marking it broken is more user friendly,but hey it's like 2 clicks to disable it after you see it doesn't work that well
[Image: newsig.jpg]
Simply put: the sound processors in most consoles have solid state low and high pass filters. These are difficult to replicate using code, and the specs on them are difficult to obtain. That's the #1 reason for the different sound you get from a console over that from an emulator.

As for cubic interpolation: When done correctly, cubic has an averaging effect over the entire waveform. This is great for broad stroking sounds like bass, and is roughly equivalent to linear for midrange samples. It tends to deaden samples which are meant to be noisy, however (like snares, hi hats, or sndfx meant to be staticy or what not), and it tends to completely butcher samples which are meant to be "chippy" (by that I mean chiptunes and their many square waves, sawtooths, and stuff).
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team