SPU2-X v2
Wasn't sure where else to put this but it is specific to SPU-2 X.
I'm using the latest version (SPU2-X r5776 2.0.0) in the latest PCSX2 SVN (v5816).

When I didn't have my headphones plugged in (or speakers, I'm guessing) then I got this error when trying to load a game:

Quote:SPU2-X System Message
Failed creating mastering voice: 0X88960001

My request was that perhaps another line in that error can be added to help people that may stumble across this error like I did.
Something like 'Please make sure you have a sound output device such as speakers or headphones plugged in to your computer, then restart the program'.

I'd figure poking a coder might help rather than just staying silent.

Sponsored links

That's interesting... I can start PCSX2 will all my audio stuff unplugged.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
That's odd. Doesn't seem to happen for me either. It must be detecting it as you have no compatible audio output when they're disconnected.

Here's the code for the error message;
Code:
    // Any windows driver should support stereo at the software level, I should think!
            jASSUME( deviceDetails.OutputFormat.Format.nChannels > 1 );

//
            // Create a mastering voice
            //
            if ( FAILED(hr = pXAudio2->CreateMasteringVoice( &pMasteringVoice, speakers, SampleRate ) ) )
            {
                SysMessage( "Failed creating mastering voice: %#X\n", hr );
                CoUninitialize();
                return -1;
            }
I gotcha. It still might help to put that 'plug in a sound output device' line in the error message rather than just the cryptic error code.

I tested my setup and it seems that my audio stuff is based on whether I have stuff plugged in or not. I'm going to presume it is a quirk of my specific audio hardware on the motherboard and/or the audio drivers.

I'm not sure if it is already in my signature but I'm using Realtek HD Audio on my motherboard. It is already pretty old but at least I figured it out before posting Smile
The error message comes up for me when I don't have any headphones or speakers pluged in. I can still play though.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
My audio is realtek as well. But if it's like Nobbs said and it only makes a message but doesn't stop the game from loading... Let me make a test.

Okay yeah, I get the error... but I never had before. And my headphones were broken until just a minute ago lol.

I hadn't made a purposeful test before, but I KNOW I've played without anything plugged in quite a few times and never got that popup.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Well is there any way for this to be added to a commit? Basically just adding in a line recommending to plug in an audio device (headset/headphones/speakers) if you get that error. I feel it is always better than making people come to the forums for every little error they may receive.

In my case the error doesn't prevent me from loading a game, but I had found it very odd when that happened and I'm glad I was able to narrow it down to the no-audio thing.
Here's a patch for it. If anyone wants it. I wouldn't think this would be considered high priority though, so you may have to wait.

Attached Files
.zip   SndOut_XAudio2.cpp.zip (Size: 486 bytes / Downloads: 292)
Thank you Asmodean! I'll add it to my own install for the time being. Others can probably wait for it to be committed to the official SVN.
Switch to portaudio seems good sound just as good xaudio imo, Though both Xaudio and portaudio seem to suffer from random pops/clipping in audio some times