Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SSD and dual booting, or XP Mode
Hey I'm considering the Vertex 2... I know there's no TRIM in XP but I'm curious, since I'm going with a XP/Win7 dual boot, will using TRIM in Win7 get rid of XP's garbage?

Sponsored links

As far as I understand the feature, no, it won't keep track of files you delete under XP.
It doesn't matter much though since there's still the garbage collection working.

If you plan to create/delete a lot of files on the drive, it may be a good idea to do regular
sector based backups.
You can then simply secure erase the drive and restore your backup to it.
That whole process takes under 10 minutes and it clears the whole drive nicely.
Thanks, just wanted to confirm! By the way, you think Sandforce's SATA III drives will be any more expensive than what we're seeing now? I can't decide if I should keep holding out, it's really tough since my HDD has been driving me nuts
Well, for perceived performance it doesn't matter if you get an Indilinx or a Sandforce SATA 3 drive.
Benchmark numbers will change but both drives will feel fast.
(12-28-2010, 05:45 AM)rama Wrote: Well, for perceived performance it doesn't matter if you get an Indilinx or a Sandforce SATA 3 drive.
Benchmark numbers will change but both drives will feel fast.

Yeah I looked into Crucial's SSD... It's tempting but then I saw this Ohmy I'm constantly working with huge files so that's a key point for me, I'm just scared of the price
It's also a point of being able to buy the drive when you want to. Dunno when new controllers actually come out Wink
Btw, moving huge files around isn't really the best use case for SSDs.
Speaking of controllers I did some more googling around and it looks like Marvell's onboard Sata III is garbage, so I guess I won't bother with that until my next major upgrade... I also discovered many complaints of failing SF and Indi drives. In the end I went with Intel!
Intel is always a good choice, yea.
Enjoy Tongue2