Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
SSD - godly speedup
I put a CD image on my intel X25-M 80GB G2 and experienced massive speedups. I put my PCSX2 dir on it and experienced some more... SSD definitely helps here...

Any suggestion as to what else I could upgrade? the CPU is showing fairly low use, and AFAIK the PCSX2 "CPU Usage" bit shows GPU usage, not CPU usage. Which makes me think my GPU is also not heavily loaded (plus I can't hear it)... neither is the ram... but it is still fairly slow without speedups, and made worse by full EE and extra+ VU modes (to eliminate a lot of bugs).

I would guess that either the CPU or GPU "load" is simply inaccurate, in that it does not take into account the specificity of the instructions used. Aka, large portions are not used, and are not going to be used, but speedups are certainly possible via certain improvements.

Suggestions?
I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not superman!

Rig: Q9400, 4GB DDR2, eVGA GTX260 SC, gigabyte EP35-DS3R. X25-M 80GB G2.

Sponsored links

(08-23-2009, 06:04 PM)taltamir Wrote: I put a CD image on my intel X25-M 80GB G2 and experienced massive speedups. I put my PCSX2 dir on it and experienced some more... SSD definitely helps here...

Very odd, it shouldn't make any difference at all.

About stuff to upgrade, well, raw cpu power is what pcsx2 needs most.
So if you want to burn some money, go buy an i7 and overclock it to 4.5Ghz Tongue2
how much the speedup is?
If you download the PS2 bios illegally, you are breaking the law. Courts around the world have ruled that businesses and individuals can be prosecuted for illegal downloading.
[Image: makemydaynow.jpg]

Nothing. He probably picked up noise.
Think about it, the HDD doesn't have anything to say on execution performance.
(Except if the game is installed on a 1991 HDD, which I doubt Tongue2 )
I recently got a 40gb Kingston ssd that has the same intel memory controller as the OP's Intel drive. I have noticed zero improvement in loading isos in pcsx2 on it versus my WD 640gb Black HDD. But PC games/apps do load a hell of a lot faster. It was especially noticeable in Borderlands.
[Image: 831404.png]
(11-22-2009, 01:22 AM)trogoldito Wrote: I recently got a 40gb Kingston ssd that has the same intel memory controller as the OP's Intel drive. I have noticed zero improvement in loading isos in pcsx2 on it versus my WD 640gb Black HDD. But PC games/apps do load a hell of a lot faster. It was especially noticeable in Borderlands.

yeah everything with progressive mapping I think fallout3 for example should be extremely fast too! and maybe crysis xD
Chicken is not Vegan?

NO VEGAN DIET NO VEGAN POWERS!!!!

http://www.flixxy.com/my-blackberry-is-not-working.htm
PS2 DVD read speed is 5.5MB per second. My PATA (IDE) drive can read at over 60MB/s and with less seeking than a DVD drive. Unless you had an ancient hard drive that was already on it's way out WHILST playing a game with a lot of streaming content WHIIIIILST the same game was NTFS compressed.... there is no reason why an SDD should offer any speed improvements. At least none over just buying a new SATA/PATA drive.
[Image: 2748844.png]
I used to put PS2 images into ramdisk to play, As you know ramdisk is faster than SSD. However there's no speedup compared to my WD mechanical harddisk.
durable PC since 2008
CPU : E7200 @ 2.53 GHz 1.04 V / OC 3.7 GHz 1.36 V (390*9.5, 4GB DDR2 780)
GPU : 8600GT (GDDR3, 256 MB) / OC (750 / 900)
BOARD : GA-EP31-DS3L (rev 1.0) broken and bought a second hand one replaced
PSU : 300 W
Apart from the higher read and write speeds, SSDs also have much, much lower access times (usually 0.1ms as opposed to the 11+ms on conventional 7200RPM hard drives); but again, I fail to see how that could bring about any performance increases for PXSC2. For boot times and reading large amounts of small files, it would do wonders, but for PCSX2 emulation? Very little.
[Image: yunacopy.jpg]
What's that SSD? I want to try it too
[Image: id3copy.png]