Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SSE4 and SSE4a instruction set AMD & Intel
Well I'm gonna end up buying AMD Because it's cheaper. Among other reasons.
One of my friends that hangs out here told me that. Amd's SSE4a is not supported in the EMU because that SSE4a isn't what the developers need for the emulator. But the real SSE4 that is in Intel's processors is what the graphics Plugin is designed for.

So Do I have to use SSE3 on a amd proccessor that only does: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4a,3DNOW! Professional?

Just wondering.
[Image: 66xk69.jpeg]

Sponsored links

Current AMD CPUs don't offer SSSE3 or SSE4.1 which is what the plugin uses so you will be able to use only the SSE2 offering. If you wait to get the next generation of AMD CPUs tho you should be able to use SSE4.1 and AVX (currently being implemented in GSdx) without a problem so there's that, but if you get an AMD CPU now then only SSE2.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
As with most any AMD, you'll be limited to SSE2. SSE3 is not supported, SSSE3 is.

SSE4a is rather useless in general. IIRC, it has like 14 of the 50 some instructions that SSE4 has.
(02-19-2011, 08:28 AM)Rezard Wrote: As with most any AMD, you'll be limited to SSE2. SSE3 is not supported, SSSE3 is.

SSE4a is rather useless in general. IIRC, it has like 14 of the 50 some instructions that SSE4 has.

Sweet thanks for letting me know that. So I should wait for the new line of amd processors?

I did read that they were gonna get the intel instruction set. But does anyone have any news links about when the new AMD processors is coming out?

Are they still gonna use AM3 socket cause I just bought a MSI 890FXA-GD70 AM3 I was hoping to keep the same board?

Never mind they are using AM3+ Socket So I might just end up selling my machine to build a better one latter.
[Image: 66xk69.jpeg]
I'm not sure when exactly there where coming out (this year), but you could find more on them if you search with the term "AMD Bulldozer".
Wiki! Tongue2
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e...ocessor%29
Bobcat does support SSSE3 though at 1.6GHZ it probably not fast enough.
Bulldozer is coming Q2 and supports all the SSEs,AVX,XOP, and FMA4.
(02-19-2011, 08:17 AM)Kiaos Wrote: Well I'm gonna end up buying AMD Because it's cheaper. Among other reasons.

For PCSX2 emulator, Intel processors are usaully faster than similar priced AMD (specially if you buy one of the sandy bridge model)

(02-20-2011, 09:16 AM)DaMan Wrote: Bobcat does support SSSE3 though at 1.6GHZ it probably not fast enough.

Bocat is much slower than core 2 duo running at same GHz. They are even slower than old Athlon64 X2 processors.

You REALLY don't want to buy a CPU that doesn't support AVX, the difference is huge (at least in linpack and the avx cloth demo). Like, 50%++ speed increase huge.

Sandy Bridge and later Intel cpus have AVX.
Bulldozer from AMD will have AVX this year but I predict that, as usual, AMD's going to suck at per-core performance (which is what matters most).

Supposedly their implementation of Intel instructions may not be as efficient, as well.
From what I understand, AMD is more targeting the server market. More cores = more output on a larger scale. With Intel, there is simply more power per Mhz, giving it fast output on any scale.

My take on AMD is that they're good performers for the money, but that's only if on a tight budget. Still, Core i are not that expensive...

Dalamars sig Wrote:"If you look at it with an objective set of eyes, you would never buy AMD. I certainly would never buy AMD for a personal system, if I wasn't working here." -AMD exec
Nice sig! LOL That says it all. Either that guy gets his AMD CPUs for free, or AMD don't pay that well. Smile