SSX sluggish - what's the bottleneck?
Hi all,

Love the emulator - it's great to play some of my old games again.

I know SSX (the first one) is only a blue on the compatibility list but it's never crashed for me, and I'm wondering if it runs slow for anyone else? I've tried it with several systems now:

AMD Phenom II x4 B50 (unlocked Phenom II x2 550), overclocked to 3.6GHz
4GB RAM
Radeon HD 5670

As above, but with a Phenom II x4 965, overclocked to 4GHz.

Then replaced the graphics card with a Radeon HD 6870.

All ran more or less the same. Moments of 60fps when the screen isn't busy, but mostly below 50. I didn't see the EE or GS readings go above 75% (mostly it was EE getting to that level).

If there was much difference in performance I'd chalk it up to the hardware, but why am I not seeing any? I'm only trying to run at native res, with no hardware hacks etc. I'm using DX11 Hardware, and have MTVU turned on.

Thanks for any help!

Edit: should have mentioned this is on r5350.

Sponsored links

What does the VU % get up to?
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

It hovers around 50% during a race.
Am I to assume then that this is self-evidently suggestive of something? Is my CPU the bottleneck?
I got some improved cooling and managed to overclock my 965 to 4.2GHz - in fact, I looked at the performance from the default 3.4Ghz right up to 4.2GHz, and I couldn't see much perceptible difference in performance with this game at all.

This is more intense curiosity than anything else, but what's going on here? SSX runs fine on my i5 3750/GTX 680, and every other game I've tried runs smoothly enough on the x4 system (which is the one connected to my TV, if anyone's wondering why I don't just use the i5).
ssx on tour works perfect for me. unless the original ssx uses a different engine, its your computer causing the lag

also, nice ul/oc on that dual core!

2500k @4.6ghz, 7870