Sakura Wars
Well, then you can try running the game in software mode and see if you still have any of the mentioned problems, or you can wait until you find a card that fits.
AMD Athlon II 245 @ 3.55ghz, 9600GT @730mhz 1115mhz, vista sp2 32bit

Sponsored links

Actually disabling 8-bit textures seems to speed the menus up (not 100%, but very close) so it should do the same I'd expect for the choices.

I should be able to test battle today as I finally got my max drive and was able to transfer my savegame from my ps2 which is much further along.
Got a chance to test battle out and it runs VERY slow. I think it has similar issues as Xenosaga as the only way I could get it to speed up was to run the ZeroGS plugin with the Xenosaga patch to remove highlights. Unfortunatly, that also removes some critical elements for AOE.

With GSdx the best I could do was a very modest increase by enabling frameskipping and keeping VU Cycles off. This was fine for the cutscenes, save for arifacts on the left side of the screen, but caused issues during the actual gameplay. Reversed, you get maybe a 1 FPS increase. Oh yea, software mode is still slower.

I think part of the problem is pcsx2 is rendering unnecessary highlight elements as the whole walkway is highlighted with both plugins (save with the Xenosaga hack).
Again, thats what you get with onboard video card. I can run Xenosaga at 60 fps most of the time at default setting with scaling 2x without any speedhacks, skipping etc(for the first 5 mins or so anyway).
Probably. I noticed when pressing Ctrl + F8 it fixed the graphics glitch (not sure what that is linked to) and it did give a slight framerate boost as I suspected. It also seems to run faster when less units are on the field which does indicate a GC issue. I don't know if the battles would run fine on your specs though. There's more going on I believe than Xenosaga.
if you can upload a save , I can try it out. I haven't really started to play the game yet, so I am not sure how it runs.
(04-28-2010, 12:41 AM)CKL Wrote: if you can upload a save , I can try it out. I haven't really started to play the game yet, so I am not sure how it runs.
Done. Its in max format.

Attached Files
.rar   21930_9745_Sakura_War.rar (Size: 139,47 KB / Downloads: 162)
OK, I don't know how to apply that save, so I 've run through the whole thing until the battle part.

I've got around 230% during normal conversations part(including the choices part).
130% during FMV's
110-150% when I was moving my char through some areas and in a couple of areas it went down to 80%-100%

When I got to the begining first battle where there was a close up having 4 robots speaking something, I got around 50%. I switched to software mode and it was also 50%. However, when I switched back to hardware mode trying to test it in native resolution, I got a crash ( due to switching modes), so I couldn't do any further testing such as testing it in dx9 mode. I don't know if it was my cpu being the bottleneck or my video card being the bottle or both(I got both usage 99%). My guess is both which is too bad since the graphic was really nice in high resolution. Anyway, I am not going to spend another 20 mins to test it again unless you or someone else upload a memory card save( namly save that I don't need to do any kind of convertion and I don't want to learn how to do it).

My setting used in the test:
pcsx2 used: r1888 beta with latest beta plugins
Graphic:gsdx 10 hardware mode with allow 8-bit testures check(it didn't affect speed in the char moving part)
Scaling 2x
sound: SPU2-X with all boxes uncheck, eveything else at default
CPU: mVU 0 and 1 off, the others on
Others: everything else at default
Speedhacks: all off

Edit:
I've found a save somewhere else, and I got around 50%(30ish fps) at the beginning of ep6 battle. I went on trying a 0.9.7 svn, r2920 with latest beta plugin, and I got around 38-50 fps and 50ish if I zoomed out the camera(somewhat playable for me) and same result in native resolution. I might have been able to get full speed if I tried some speedhacks though I haven't tested them, so I don't know how the speedhacks respond to the game.

After testing all that, I really don't think a onboard video can give you some good speed not for the battle part anyway.

To Yojimbo108:

After doing this test, I am pretty sure your laptop is not fast enough to handle the game, so if changing a faster one is not an option, playing in ps2 is your best option.
Even with speedhacks, battles are slow when several mechs are on screen.
Video card isn't the problem (native or not, 8b texture or not etc ...), CPU usage goes up to 99 % so that's your answer : nothing can be done ^^ (as far as I know)
C2D 8400 @ 3.3, 4 Go RAM, Nvidia 250 1 Go
(04-28-2010, 02:57 PM)Zecyd Wrote: Even with speedhacks, battles are slow when several mechs are on screen.
Video card isn't the problem (native or not, 8b texture or not etc ...), CPU usage goes up to 99 % so that's your answer : nothing can be done ^^ (as far as I know)
Well if its CPU usage, hopefully the pcsx2 team gets quad-core coding implemented as that will help in my situation.