Sandy Bridge = BIG improvement
Moyt I got bad news for you... pcsx2 sees no benefit from a dual gpu setup. As for amd vs nvidia, just see my thread in hardware forum. A gddr3 mobile nvidia beat out a gddr5 amd, both latest series. Granted this was only in 1 out of 10 games tested at native res, I can't test like for like cards but I think there's good reason many people ditch amd for nvidia and not the other way around

Sponsored links

(09-20-2011, 09:11 AM)synce Wrote: As for amd vs nvidia, just see my thread in hardware forum. A gddr3 mobile nvidia beat out a gddr5 amd, both latest series. Granted this was only in 1 out of 10 games tested at native res

It's probably just a couple games, ZoE2 has just some very weird slowdown, then there some games like Shadow Hearts where there's other kind of slowdown with no full GPU usage or full EE/GS usage or well... not much to explain the slowdown, probably drivers or D3D itself being the slowdown (not even native resolution is enough for them and having higher resolution doesn't affect them either...).

GSdx responds best to memory bandwidth and not so much to other GPU stats, and that holds up to the highest end cards from either AMD/nvidia. Then there's some other games where drivers got a higher impact... Xenosaga I with 182.47 drivers was 50% faster in the slowest scenes with my old 9600GT compared to 27x.xx ones and I thought it was card specific but got the same with GTX 560 Ti (where I can't use the old drivers anymore so I'm stuck with slowdown unless I upgrade my CPU for that game Tongue2).

Quote:I can't test like for like cards but I think there's good reason many people ditch amd for nvidia and not the other way around

People are switching both sides all the time and probably even saying they're never switching back (then they might for some reason or the other), what they don't usually do is go from Intel graphics to AMD/nvidia and then back Tongue2
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
Many variabel we must included to test pcsx2 in games between both grapich card on same level and the result may still vary between revision drivers to other revision be caused from drivers bugs?? or human errors?? So that point was pointless for me.
Notebook ASUS A43TA|CPU AMD Llano APU A6-3400m Triple core (1 core disable) OC to 2.6+Ghz|GPU CF|HD 6520 400Mhz/667Mhz iGPU|HD6650M OC 780Mhz/985Mhz dGPU|RAM 8GB DDR3 1333|Windows 7 Ultimate Sp.1 x64 bit.
>> Emulation speed differs for each game. There will be some you can run fast easily, but others will simply require more powerfull hardware <<.
Yup I've seen the tests on GPU cards now, so it looks like NVidia is the general favourite. I'm wondering how much it would vary from game to game....

If those 580m cards weren't so damn expensive I would have gone NVidia Ninja
More than twice the price of 6990m's? If they were at least twice as powerful then I can understand.
I've bought the m18x with the intention of PC gaming, but usage of dual GPU's would have been a very nice added bonus to the PCSX2 side of things.

Please ohhh please implement such a feature into the next build Mr PCSX2! Just kidding, I have no idea about how hard it would be to implement such a function. Plus I think such a thing is far off from the priority list (if it was even considered). I can't see everyone running dual GPU's to benefit yet.

Correct me if I'm wrong but that 6990m was declared as the fastest single mobile GPU. In fact AMD still plaster that on their site, when really the 580m has the upper hand.
Is this all marketing crap? But then GPU's are heavily driver dependant right? Maybe it's just come down to AMD bringing out 'poor drivers' <-- which I tend to read across various forums :o

Well it's a waiting game now, I'll perform a lot of tests with PCSX2 when my rig arrives.

Sorry for going off topic with this, maybe I should have created an 'NVidia = BIG improvement over AMD' thread Tongue2
Alienware m18x (space black anodized aluminum):
Intel® Core™ i7 2920XM @ 4.0GHz
x2/Dual 2GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon™ HD 6990M - AMD CrossFireX
Corsair Force GT 240GB SSD
Kingston HyperX 16GB memory @ 1600mhz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit