Segmentation Fault with Save States
Hi all,

I know the issue of segfaults has come up before (because I just spent half an hour skimming the related threads), but I didn't see anything that looked like the same kind of weirdness I'm having.

I'm playing FFXII IZJS, and everything seems to be okay (aside from actors blipping in and out on the tutorial level, but whenever I try to save the state I get a segfault. Sad I haven't been to try any other games because the only other ps2 iso I have is FFX international, and it's giving me the outdated shader error.....

Anybody ever see this before? I'd greatly appreciate a little advice. The part about emulation is the save states (I really hate hunting for save points when I'm in a hurry to shut things down), so I'd hate to miss out on that. Laugh

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored links

I play FFXII IZJS on PCSX2 0.9.7 r3878 and have no any problems with saving/loading the save state.
What's your version of PCSX2?
Interesting . . . that gives me some hope at least. Wink

I'm using the leopard-specific version that currently linked on the "downloads page" at pcsx2mac.net (which seems to be down at the moment, so I can't check to see if the specific version numbers are available there). I'm actually using Snow Leopard, but for some reason that version of pcsx2 gave me even more trouble than this one.

I haven't modified it at all from the original package that I downloaded, aside from using batchmod to fix the permissions, and copying my .isos into the package contents for organizational purposes.

EDIT: Funny story, I just made some changes to my zeropad setup, and for some reason I'm not getting the "outdated shader" thing with FFXII, but FFX is working fine. 0_o

EDIT2: Except it segfaults when I try to save a state, too.
Hm, savestates should work, I'm not sure about leopard version on Snow Leopard.
What's the issue with the Snow Leopard package?

P.S. Website is back up, my apache server went down apparently
(03-29-2011, 11:43 AM)zedr0n Wrote: Hm, savestates should work, I'm not sure about leopard version on Snow Leopard.
What's the issue with the Snow Leopard package?

P.S. Website is back up, my apache server went down apparently

The snow Leopard package is wierd. It gives a bunch of different errors, you cant install plugins on it and you have to enter the code snippets every time you want to play.
"Eventually you too will hear it, The Last Melody"
Well, my initial problem with the SL version was more my own ignorance than anything. I used the terminal commands to get that version running (though I don't seem to need them every time I run it), and it's giving me the same segfault when I try to use the SS.

Bash says:
offset 0xa97ffff0 invalid. Legit SIGSEGV Aborting.
pcsx2.sh: line2: 1735 Segmentation fault ./pcsx2

....For whatever that's worth.

EDIT: okay, so maybe the problem has always been my own ignorance. . .

For the sake of context, I've used pcsx2 for Windows using bootcamp, and in those days I would save states by pressing esc to get to the menu and then choose a state to save to from there. I was aware of a keyobard shortcut, but just never got around to remembering what it was.

Anyway, using the fn/f1 and fn/f3 shortcuts in pcsx2mac, everything seems to be groovy. I think I'll just make it a point to keep my finger off the esc key from now on!

Thanks for your posts, folks! I appreciate you taking the time to help me work this out. Laugh
(03-30-2011, 07:17 AM)phayze81 Wrote: Well, my initial problem with the SL version was more my own ignorance than anything. I used the terminal commands to get that version running (though I don't seem to need them every time I run it), and it's giving me the same segfault when I try to use the SS.

Bash says:
offset 0xa97ffff0 invalid. Legit SIGSEGV Aborting.
pcsx2.sh: line2: 1735 Segmentation fault ./pcsx2

....For whatever that's worth.

EDIT: okay, so maybe the problem has always been my own ignorance. . .

For the sake of context, I've used pcsx2 for Windows using bootcamp, and in those days I would save states by pressing esc to get to the menu and then choose a state to save to from there. I was aware of a keyobard shortcut, but just never got around to remembering what it was.

Anyway, using the fn/f1 and fn/f3 shortcuts in pcsx2mac, everything seems to be groovy. I think I'll just make it a point to keep my finger off the esc key from now on!

Thanks for your posts, folks! I appreciate you taking the time to help me work this out. Laugh

WAAAAIIT A MINUTE HERE...
Does savestates work??!?!??!!??
(03-30-2011, 08:36 AM)Kaze Wrote: WAAAAIIT A MINUTE HERE...
Does savestates work??!?!??!!??

Yup, but only with the keyboard commands (f1 to save, f3 to load). Weird, right?
(03-30-2011, 09:35 AM)phayze81 Wrote: Yup, but only with the keyboard commands (f1 to save, f3 to load). Weird, right?

Say, what version of PCSX2 do you use?
Hm, I have a similar problem in 0.9.7 where escaping segfaults but I don't think I'm getting that on SL version. Also plugin installation seems to work for me, smth is weird