Shadow of Rome cutscene stutter
Hello! Well i recently tried to play one of my favourite PS2 games on PCSX2. Shadow of Rome, a game where you play a disgraced General from the roman army who is forced to become a gladiator. It is fantastic but im having a small issue with it. The cutscenes stutter...really badly.

The FPS stays at 60, but its like the emulation pauses for a split second every 4-5 seconds. Outside of Cutscenes it runs silky smooth, even in battles with tons of enemies (Like the barbarian wars at the beginning of the game). Software mode doesnt help with the cutscenes.

is there anything that can be done? The Compatability list doesn't say anything about stuttering cutscenes and ive tried everything but they wont seem to go away.

Sponsored links

In order to help you further with your problem, please make sure the following are all provided.
  • Your hardware specs - CPU, Graphics Card, Memory, Operating System.
  • The version of PCSX2 you are using.
  • Any non default settings you are using.
  • What games you are trying to play and if you are playing them from ISO or DVD.

Thank You.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(09-14-2014, 02:36 PM)jesalvein Wrote: In order to help you further with your problem, please make sure the following are all provided.
  • Your hardware specs - CPU, Graphics Card, Memory, Operating System.
  • The version of PCSX2 you are using.
  • Any non default settings you are using.
  • What games you are trying to play and if you are playing them from ISO or DVD.

Thank You.
AMDFX 8350 8core Overclocked to 4.5Ghz
Geforce GTX 770 Overclocked
8GB 1800mhz Corsair Ram
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

My version of PCSX2 is 1.2.1 and im using Preset 4 on the emulation settings however i have turned VU Cycle Stealing OFF.
Try with only default speedhacks + MTVU. Preset 4 enables EE cycle rate hack and if by cutscenes you mean FMV then the EE hack may cause FMV to skip.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(09-14-2014, 09:19 PM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: Try with only default speedhacks + MTVU. Preset 4 enables EE cycle rate hack and if by cutscenes you mean FMV then the EE hack may cause FMV to skip.
That did indeed seem to fix it! Thanks a lot, i thought i tried disabling speedhacks but i guess that must have stayed on. I used to love this game when i was younger and it looks like i can finally replay it Laugh Thanks again!

Now my only issue with PCSX2 is with MGS2 slowing down to 30fps in some sections, but i think thats just my CPU disagreeing with the emulator in some fashion
MGS2 is simply brutal. The FX series is still low on single threaded performance compared to Intel chips. While your chip @ 4.5Ghz is enough for 95% of games, the super extra demanding ones may have slowdown.
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(09-15-2014, 12:22 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: MGS2 is simply brutal. The FX series is still low on single threaded performance compared to Intel chips. While your chip @ 4.5Ghz is enough for 95% of games, the super extra demanding ones may have slowdown.
Yeah, its only in SOME sections too (Like the Olga boss fight in the tutorial). So it's still very much playable, i just have to bump the res down from 3-4x to 1x then the fps jumps to 50-60. After im done with that "slowdown" area i bump the res up to 3-4x and it's fine. I just hope MGS3 isnt any worse. It does look much better than MGS2 so im a little worried...

I think ive been spoiled by Dolphin, but now im getting used to PCSX2 it isnt so bad and is still a fantastic emulator. The fact that i can run my old favourites like Shadow of Rome or MGS2 on my PC is good enough for me!
I've never played either in PCSX2, but from what I've read it seems MGS2 is more demanding than 3, at least for some people. In fact I think I told you that in a different thread.

Make sure to use the MTVU hack for any game that's not here: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-LIST-Game...-with-MTVU

PCSX2 uses only 2 cores by default, 3 with the MTVU hack.
(09-15-2014, 12:30 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: I've never played either in PCSX2, but from what I've read it seems MGS2 is more demanding than 3, at least for some people.
Alright, thanks! You've helped me tons of times now Tongue Thanks a lot for all your help, really. If it wasnt for you, i'd probably have given up back when MGS2 ran at 30fps constantly ^-^
Glad I could help.