Shadow of the Colossus
I understand that there are quite a few threads about this game, probably because it's so demanding, but I suppose it's ok since there's no discussion thread about it.

PC specs:
Manufacturer: TOSHIBA
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Hard Drive: 750 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M
Operation System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

PCSX2 Settings:
Gsdx:
Renderer: D3D11 (Hardware)
x2 Scaling
Texture filtering: on
Offset hack: on
Emulation:
Everything is set to default unless specified.
GS Window: 16:9 aspect ratio; window size: 976x690
Speedhacks: Enabled; EE-2; VU Cycle stealing-2; INTC Spin detection, Wait Loop Detection and mVU Flag Hacks enabled.
No Game fixes checked.

Everything runs smooth at this point. PCSX2 shows between 45 and 60 FPS, gameplay is awesome, etc... Might be a false read but actual FPS is definitely higher than 30. Capturing a video at the same time didn't introduce any noticeable performance hit.
However, setting the scaling to x3 will drop the FPS to 30 max, but I guess that's a false read since the actual game is laggy (actually, it's slightly strange to describe... while it is laggy and looks as if the FPS is bad, it also feels as if the game is running in slow motion [animations are almost smooth]; I guess the FPS is around 20-25, but as I've said, the slow motion effect makes it seems like it's no more than 15).
I realize emulators are extremely demanding, same for SotC, but I just want to make sure nothing is wrongly configured -I mean, I can run seriously demanding games such as Crysis on max settings and get a smoother gameplay.

Now, I've seen a couple of PCs with lower specs running it in x3 without a noticeable performance hit, and was wondering if I was doing something wrong...
Note that my PC isn't overclocked, and it is in perfect health (so no defrag/cleanup tips, please, I do regularly <3).
Thanks a lot ^^

EDIT: Also, even on x3 with all the lagg, the overbloom effect seems pretty high and I can't see anything if I look a bit high towards the sky. I'm using the latest version of PCSX2 so I shouldn't have to use any custom modifications according to all sort of thread. Any fix for that, too?

Sponsored links

Your GPU is not good enough for x3.
(05-24-2012, 03:54 PM)avih Wrote: Your GPU is not good enough for x3.
My GPU? I actually had doubts that 2.2Ghz wasn't enough... Well, thanks for the reply.
YW. Also if you use latest svn (r5221 or higher), check "Enable HW hacks" in GSdx and check "Aggressive-CRC" to disable the bloom in SoTC.
PCSX2 is not as demanding as some new computer games but anyways, my fps reading shows a constant 60fps on Shadow of the Colossus, it's obviously false but at the same time, I know it's playing as it should. I've heard Direct3D9 is somewhat faster than 11 with a sacrifice in quality.
(05-24-2012, 08:23 PM)Tidus581 Wrote: PCSX2 is not as demanding as some new computer games but anyways, my fps reading shows a constant 60fps on Shadow of the Colossus, it's obviously false but at the same time, I know it's playing as it should. I've heard Direct3D9 is somewhat faster than 11 with a sacrifice in quality.

But in PCSX2, DX10/11 was faster and better...Smile
No argument here, this probably just applies to other emu.