Shadow of the Colossus !!!
Hello, I'm trying to run SotC and have a few questions:

I don't mind that my FPS drops, but the game slows down as well. Is there any option to skip frames when FPS drops? I've only watched the intro so far to benchmark the FPS, but does this slow-down have much affect in game?

The bloom is pretty horrendous, and a search hasn't yielded a definitive answer to how to solve it. Turning up the resolution or changing to software helps, but makes the FPS far too low.

Any other advice on how to get the most out of this game would be great, thanks.

My PC:
CPU: E8400 @ 3gig
Ram: 4gig
Graphics: GTX275

Sponsored links

The slowdown in low FPS is unavoidable because it's a console emulator and tied to TV standards then.

Speed hacks can help you getting more FPS although it may hamper accuracy, you should try the combination that works better for you. VU cycle stealing is probably what can give you the most in FPS bumping. Skipping frames is too tricky in the emulation and should be attempted only in despair situations.

A word of advice, your video card is very good and can fool you into increasing too much the internal resolution. If it's the case you shouldn't, the CPU will be overload too.
Imagination is where we are truly real
(03-14-2009, 12:39 PM)greyest Wrote: One thing I would like to know.

Is Shadow of the Colossus faster when playing on DirectX10 if compared with DirectX9?

I just heard that GSdx DX10 can be considerably faster than DX9 version. If it will bring like 5-10 FPS more in the game I may consider to install Vista.....

I've noticed some games seem to get better frames in DirectX9 than DirectX10 and Vise versa...another note is I've noticed some speed ups in games by unchecking the Native PS2 display settings...I'm not sure which options this toggles, but F9 seemed to tick some games into higher FPS by either removing shadows, and in some speed up by adding the shadows..(I play RPGs mainly and noticed slow downs in the game's menus when selecting this so I frequently toggle F9 to fit my needs, ofcourse, I prefer speed gaming through PS2 titles at about 200FPS, all the games I've played so far on PCSX2 have been at 60FPS without any slow downs.)
(08-20-2010, 05:46 AM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: The slowdown in low FPS is unavoidable because it's a console emulator and tied to TV standards then.

Speed hacks can help you getting more FPS although it may hamper accuracy, you should try the combination that works better for you. VU cycle stealing is probably what can give you the most in FPS bumping. Skipping frames is too tricky in the emulation and should be attempted only in despair situations.

A word of advice, your video card is very good and can fool you into increasing too much the internal resolution. If it's the case you shouldn't, the CPU will be overload too.

Ah okay, thanks for the assistance.
Can someone here confirm if the last couple of Colossi set-pieces are more hardware demanding then the first couple of them? Or is it just me?

More precisely, with the best possible combination of emulator, gsdx and speed hacks I managed to find so far, I could for example, kill the second Colossi with only a little slowdown(to me it felt like ~20 frames, maybe a bit more, which is good enough for me). But when I came to the waterfalls where that giant sea turtle is, the game was barely playable. I was hoping that was just because of the location, but no, next 3 battles had equally bad frame rates, even the one with the small boar. Strangely enough, the final battle was really smooth, maybe because the last Colossi wasn't moving.

btw, the game works the best for me with the gdsx 2693 0.1.16. How come it works worse/slower with the latter versions? And the 2693 has the bug with bad shadows, any way to fix that and keep the performance?
(08-20-2010, 05:12 AM)jumb Wrote: The bloom is pretty horrendous, and a search hasn't yielded a definitive answer to how to solve it. Turning up the resolution or changing to software helps, but makes the FPS far too low.

You could find something to help with the bloom right on this thread. Just look back a few pages. Smile
I don't think it has been posted here before, for anyone interested in the technical details of SoTC, here's a long detailed document: Making of SoTC (as PDF or in GoogleDocs web viewer).

It discusses technical details of SoTC such as LOD, Fur, lighting (shadow, HDR, Bloom), blur, motion, collision detection, particles, etc.

Regardless of other superlatives for this game, it's also a marvel of technical achievement.
Enjoy.
Yeah, that read is awesome.
I especially liked their fur shader and how it enables them to do "real" shading on pre Geforce 3 hardware Smile
Yes, so much attention to details at every front. Can't wait for The last guardian Smile Though the trailers so far seem to imply it's not as dark as SoTC and Ico, at least by the sound track used. I wonder if it would help it sell more than their previous games. SoTC and Ico got amazing reviews and most people that tried them can't stop praising, but they didn't sell as well as other games.
Well, I know I'll buy Ico and SotC once more soon. The moment the HD remake on the PS3 comes out Wink