Shadow of the Colossus 60fps possible?
Oh, get the fx6300. It's the best for what you pay.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]

Sponsored links

(03-21-2014, 02:45 AM)Nobbs66 Wrote: Oh, get the fx6300. It's the best for what you pay.

even for games like battlefield 4 which could use the extra threads?

given the 6300 is a lower tdp (i assume?), would i be able to overclock higher than the 8320?
It won't generate as much heat. BF4 is fine on my quad core i5.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
I say the FX 6300. 6 threads is plenty. Unless you get an excellent chip with the fx 8320, you will be able to overclock further with the FX 6300 because of it requiring less power, having lower TDP, etc.

I mean, you would be happy with the other too, I'm sure. But 8 threads just isn't all that useful right now. 6 is even overkill.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(03-19-2014, 08:37 PM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: Most likely he wasn't using VU stealing at 2 which like we've said is required for any CPU.

VU.S.=2 is not required for any CPU with SoTC.

The Intro and all/most of the game can probably run at full speed with VU.S.=1 or even 0 on a fast enough CPU (and GPU, especially with native res).

There's a cost to setting VU.S=2 : the animation is less smooth, so if the system can run at full speed with less VU stealing, it should - to make the game run better.

Increasing VU stealing is equivalent to "making the PS2 GPU slower". While it's easier for the host to emulate, it can also make the game run slower (especially if it's not designed to handle variable GPU load, like some games - which then result in "fake fps").

If the game can adapt itself to variable GPU loads, then if the load is too high, it'll still run at full/normal speed but draw less frames to the screen (much like a PC game does, or "normal" framedrops).

At PCSX2, the fps number at the title is more like a "speed at which the game runs", where 60 fps (on NTSC) is 100% speed. It does NOT mean that it draws 60 different images to the screen every second.

So when we say that SoTC works well with VU stealing, we mean that this game is designed to work with variable GPU load (or equivalent - variable GPU performance), such that if its GPU load is too high to handle at true 60fps, it just drops frames, but still runs at full speed (and shows 60 fps at the title).

Same goes for EE cyclerate, which makes the emulated CPU slower, so easier to emulate, but may result in "fake speed" (fps at the titlebar) if the game doesn't handle it well.
(03-22-2014, 02:27 AM)avih Wrote: VU.S.=2 is not required for any CPU with SoTC.

The Intro and all/most of the game can probably run at full speed with VU.S.=1 or even 0 on a fast enough CPU (and GPU, especially with native res).

According to what I've read on the forums by many people, including some of the developers, the game requires at least SOME amount of VU stealing on any CPU. Perhaps maybe not to 2 on every CPU, but some. That's what I've read. That's what I said was based on. For example:
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Sticky-Wi...#pid326820
jesalvein said there that:
Code:
It works around 60 Fps with vu cycle stealing enabled only (since it's not working @ full speed on a real PS2 either)

Is this incorrect?

Quote:There's a cost to setting VU.S=2 : the animation is less smooth, so if the system can run at full speed with less VU stealing, it should - to make the game run better.

I agree, but the benchmark in question that made me say that was with an i7 4770k, that's about as fast as it gets. According to the results, it was nowhere near fullspeed without any VU stealing. So how fast would be fast enough?

Quote:Increasing VU stealing is equivalent to "making the PS2 GPU slower". While it's easier for the host to emulate, it can also make the game run slower (especially if it's not designed to handle variable GPU load, like some games - which then result in "fake fps").

Maybe this is true, but I find it a bit confusing and here is why. In the PCSX2 program itself, the tooltip for VU cycle stealing says:

Code:
This slider controls the amount of cycles the VU steals from the EmotionEngine. Higher values increasing the number of cycles stolen from the EE for each VU microprogram the game runs.

How is that equivalent to making the PS2 GPU slower? It looks more like it's equivalent to making the EE slower, since it's having cycles stolen from it.

Quote:If the game can adapt itself to variable GPU loads, then if the load is too high, it'll still run at full/normal speed but draw less frames to the screen (much like a PC game does, or "normal" framedrops).

This makes sense.

Quote:At PCSX2, the fps number at the title is more like a "speed at which the game runs", where 60 fps (on NTSC) is 100% speed. It does NOT mean that it draws 60 different images to the screen every second.

I knew that, and that's pretty obvious anyway if you have any idea how games work. If a PS2 game was capped to 30FPS(as many are) and the number at the top was the true speed, those games would be running twice as fast. Why do we show it as FPS anyway? Why not as a %? And surely there is a way to display how many FPS ARE being rendered by the GS?

Quote:So when we say that SoTC works well with VU stealing, we mean that this game is designed to work with variable GPU load (or equivalent - variable GPU performance), such that if its GPU load is too high to handle at true 60fps, it just drops frames, but still runs at full speed (and shows 60 fps at the title).

Same goes for EE cyclerate, which makes the emulated CPU slower, so easier to emulate, but may result in "fake speed" (fps at the titlebar) if the game doesn't handle it well.

As for the EE rate, since we can now set asinine values in the ini like 99, it makes that pretty obvious. Set something like 20 and you get a game where the character moves at full speed, but the game itself renders half as many frames.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD