Shadow of the Colossus 60fps possible?
hi all, debating about what parts i should upgrade in my current system, or whether to make a new one completely

current system:

Phenom x4 955 BE (stock)
samsung green 8gb
HD 7770

i get about 25fps in the opening scene (dx9 hardware - no hacks - dont think i want hacks as they could glitch game?).. is this the most intensive part of the game?

what kind of system would i need for a smooth 60fps at around 2x ir?

i was thinking about an i5-4670k and overclocking to 4ghz or so (hopefully further)

would this suffice? if not, would adding a better gfx card get the 60fps i am after?

regards~

Sponsored links

You can keep your gpu is you want. Your cpu is the week link. I would upgrade to a 4670k and a z87 mobo without question. Also Vu cycle stealing set to 2 REALLY helps with this game.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
(03-18-2014, 11:01 PM)Nobbs66 Wrote: You can keep your gpu is you want. Your cpu is the week link. I would upgrade to a 4670k and a z87 mobo without question. Also Vu cycle stealing set to 2 REALLY helps with this game.

tried vu cycle (in speedhack options right?) enabled everything else apart from fast cd, and i was getting 60fps (dipping down to 50 at parts), but the sound seems a bit jittery.. is this because of the speedhack?

would an overclocked haswell i5 get 60fps without speedhack?
You would not need the overclock on a haswell i5 to do it.

My FX 6300 can run SotC full speed with VU stealing at 2. All machines require VU stealing at 2 for this game since it did not run at full speed on real PS2. Also in some cases the MTVU speedhack can slow this game down. So don't use it.

The FPS dipping at all will cause the sound to do that. You can stop it by going to Config->audio-> plugin settings and setting async mix instead of timestretch.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
you shouldn't need to overclock an i5 the Phenom II core doesn't have AVX instructions supported getting the FX-6300 or the 4670k would do you just fine. i will also note this, going from a Phenom II to a the New CPUs without re-installing Windows [7-8.x ONLY] [Xp can't do this] is possible though i still recommend reinstalling windows anyway as it clean install should have less bugs
Windows 10
Intel 5930k 4.2ghz/core
32 GBs of 2400MHz DDR4
AMD PoweColor 390X (GPUs are expensive or this would be in crossfire)
Would the new cpu fit to the old board? If not you have to change everything and you would need to reinstall windows 7... (or am I wrong?)
I think no OS allows easily a mainboard change or?
(03-19-2014, 12:08 AM)willkuer Wrote: Would the new cpu fit to the old board? If not you have to change everything and you would need to reinstall windows 7... (or am I wrong?)
I think no OS allows easily a mainboard change or?

oddly enough my friend didn't have to reinstall windows when he took the hardrive out of his laptop and put it in to his gaming rig.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
really?? Back in my days...... wait I am not that old.

The last time I tried something similar it went horribly wrong.
I didn't have to reinstall windows when I recently fried my Asrock board and put in a Gigabyte board. It's generally a good idea to though. What I did was after I got back into windows have device manager show nonpresent devices and then uninstall all the things related to my old board's chipset and such.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
i know this is the wrong place to write it, but i tried Dolphin with F-Zero GX and it has been running (native res) at 31% speed, 21fps.

this is likely cpu related right?