Shin Megami Tensei Games - Blurry Picture
Hello everyone!

My question is a simple one, but probably doesn't have a simple solution.

The problem I have is all of these games (Shin Megami Tensei - Lucifer's Call / Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2) display with a blurry picture, see the screenshot comparison I've attached for an example.

The image on the left is one I found on a google image search, the one in the middle was from PSCX2 running in DX11 Software rendering and the right one is DX11 Hardware rendering at native resolution. Both emulated screenshots are running with all settings on default.

The blurring is especially noticeable in the text but is present across the entire screen.

I've done more searching for screenshots from the games and I've seen quite a few that show the same blurring as well as plenty that don't.

By the way, I have tried other games and these are the only ones that display this problem.

I have also searched these forums and come up with nothing about this.

Has anyone encountered this problem and perhaps knows of a way to eliminate it? Trying to play with that much blur makes me feel ill after a short while.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sponsored links

Well the image on the left is what it looks like running on an actual ps2, with the scanlines hiding imperfections, Mind telling us which version of pcsx2 you are using and your system specs so I can try to pinpoint how to help without causing undue frame drops. I would suggest switching to opengl, The games have issues with Direct X from my own tests, and try uping the native resolution to x2 to x4, it might cause lines in the words but it would be a much clearer image,
[Image: xckarn-5.png]
(02-27-2017, 05:04 AM)rikimaruaxu Wrote: Well the image on the left is what it looks like running on an actual ps2, with the scanlines hiding imperfections, Mind telling us which version of pcsx2 you are using and your system specs so I can try to pinpoint how to help without causing undue frame drops. I would suggest switching to opengl, The games have issues with Direct X from my own tests, and try uping the native resolution to x2 to x4, it might cause lines in the words but it would be a much clearer image,

I probably should've mentioned that the left image was from a review of the game so was a screen capture from actual hardware, however I cannot see any scanlines in that image so I have my doubts about them 'hiding' anything, but anyway.

My specs:
CPU: I7-4280K 3.7ghz (overclocked to 4.8ghz)
Ram: 32gb
GPU: Asus Strix GForce-970 ~4gb x2 SLI

I don't think I need to worry much about frame rate drops. Tongue

PCSX2 version: 1.4.0

I've added screenshots running in OpenGL Hardware and Software and while they are an improvement they're still not as crisp as the actual hardware image... am I being too picky?

I also did a screenshot with x2 native resolution, which does seem to be a lot better.

However I noticed that the shadows glitch mentioned on the wiki page is noted as fixed in GL HW, but on mine the shadows draw over characters?

for the shadow => get latest 1.5 GIT version