Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I buy a new graphic card?
I will buy a new CPU, Core i5-3550 (non K).
I currently have an useful graphic card, GeForce 9600 GT (512 MB).

I want to play games that my current computer cannot run.

PS2 (PCSX2): Final Fantasy X, Suikoden V, God Hand, God of War, Metal Gear Solid, Shadow of the Colossus, Rogue Galaxy.
Wii (Dolphin): Super Mario Galaxy, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Sonic Colors, Monster Hunter Tri, Xenoblade Chronicles.
PC: Fable 3, Mass Effect, The Witcher, Dragon Age: Origins, The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim.

I will not use overclock, but I will use any required speed hack. My screen resolution is 1280x1024.
I want to get full speed without slowdowns.

Should I buy a graphic cards now?
With my current graphic cards, I can play many games. After I play games that my graphic card can run, I would buy a new graphic cards later, with lower price.

What card should I buy?
GeForce GTX 550 Ti (I can buy it)
GeForce GTX 560 (It will heavily damage my wallet, but I can try to buy it.)
GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Its price is higher than CPU price. If it is a good investment for the future... Maybe I buy it)

Should I choose Graphic cards of 1 GB or 2 GB?

Sponsored links

Unfortunately the 3550 comes with Intel HD 2500 instead of 4000. If the IGP were Intel HD 4000, I'll stick with it to save some bucks.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 | nVidia GeForce GTX 750 | 4 GiB DDR3 @ 533 Mhz | MSI G41M-P28 | Cooler Master RS-390-PMSR-A3 | Xigmatek TYR SD962 | LG Flatron W1943SE | HP KB-0316 | MotoSpeed F60
If you want full speed you have to go for GTX 560. GTX 560 Ti has about 10-12% better results than GTX 560. But since you don't use 1080p, I don't think you have to use that.
All in all, the better the graphics card, the higher resolution you will achieve without dropping your framerate. I would definetely invest in a card that can do 1080p without fps loss. Cause imo the greatest motivation to use an emulator is to be able to play games with better graphics than in the original console. Also, why not add 20$ more, and go for the 3575k? You are really not interested at all in oc?
"the more it is the the more it is good"
have you ever saw a one complaining" i have too much VRAM !" get the 2GB ver if you have the $$$$

(05-23-2012, 11:50 AM)Game Wrote: If you want full speed you have to go for GTX 560. GTX 560 Ti has about 10-12% better results than GTX 560. But since you don't use 1080p, I don't think you have to use that.

Dolphin and PC games don't use a res higher than your monitor res but what about PCSX2 !

(05-23-2012, 09:06 PM)coldnpale Wrote: All in all, the better the graphics card, the higher resolution you will achieve without dropping your framerate. I would definetely invest in a card that can do 1080p without fps loss. Cause imo the greatest motivation to use an emulator is to be able to play games with better graphics than in the original console. Also, why not add 20$ more, and go for the 3575k? You are really not interested at all in oc?

1+ i totally agree

and getting the 3575K will allow to use HD4000 not much as 550GTX but pretty near which make your wallet recover a bit Tongue
(05-24-2012, 08:00 AM)abdo123 Wrote: "the more it is the the more it is good"
have you ever saw a one complaining" i have too much VRAM !" get the 2GB ver if you have the $$$$

He said even GTX560 will hevely damage his wallet.
If money is not a problem everyone would be buying GTX690 and HD7990.
and that's why i said "IF" beside a 2GB ver of the same GPU cost only ~15$ more than the 1 GB one not like i am going to buy a 690\7990
if it is up to me i will juice my wallet for a 2GB ver of the GPU i am going to buy because i am probably wont upgrade for couple of years or maybe 3

i didn't ask for him to buy more than GTX560 just the 2GB ver if he have the $$$$ for it and that's totally different than what have you mentioned Smile
I want to keep my new PC for many years, at least 6 years.
I want to use it to play modern PC games and run PCSX2 and Dolphin at full speed without slowdowns.

I am cautious because if I buy a PC that cannot run PCSX2 and Dolphin, the money will have been wasted.

Are Intel HD Graphics as good and reliable as Nvidia cards?
Is it better than GeForce 9600 GT?
I thought that Intel HD Graphics are like on board graphic cards of motherboard and it is integrated with processor instead of motherboard.
The price of Core i5 3570K is better than Geforce 550 + Core i5 2500, but the graphic card may be limited and may be a bottleneck.

Where I live, the 2 GB version of a graphic card is 20%~30% more expensive than the 1 GB version.

What about ATI cards? I have never had one and I know nothing about them.
My ATI Radeon HD 4670 card gives me satisfactory quality, but I'm not a huge PC game and PCSX2 doesnt always run perfectly, but it is a good card and a massive upgrade from what i got with my old laptop.