Should I play on PCSX2 or PS2 ?
Hello,

I have a pretty decent PC (i7-860+16GiB RAM+ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series), and already tried successfully to play some game (namely Kingdom Heart, Odin Sphere seems to play well too) with PCSX2.

I am wondering if I should play my other game (see list below) using the emulator rather than the console. The fact is that I only own one console (model SCPH-77004) and one 8MB memory card.

In the first case, I would have a rare problem if it burn out (I don't think I'll find a new PS2 :/).
In the second case, well with 8MB and that list of games, I would have to erase savegame - I don't want that - because of full memory card. I guess I could go for a 128MB card, Amazon sales those at 15€, that's cheap in itself, but well ...

Last but not least, I also have a PS3 Controller, which means that I can plug it using libusb (well, I still have to try Tongue).

So, should I go with my PC or stick with my PS2 ?

(Also, but that's unrelated, I'd want to backup my PS2 save game, so playing with the emulator does not seems that weird for me).

Oh, and since I'm doing it, is it wrong (not legally, but technically) to do an ISO of my PS2 DVD using some tools like ImgBurn ? (I don't want to download them, since I'm owning them, and I don't want to hear the DVD/BR Reader while playing, as well as I want to lessen load times). Are they any kind of problems (like data corruption ?) doing that ?

My PAL game list, and the compatibility : italic is for "playable" game that play at list with US version, striked is for game that won't play; all come from PCSX2 site.
  • Ar Tonelico – Melody of Elemia (PAL) (hopefully I finished it on my PS2, the game seems to be playable but with black line along the screen in NTSC mode and in other places) -> screenshot.
  • Ar Tonelico 2 : Melody of Metafalica
  • Atelier Iris 2 : The Azoth of Destiny
  • Atelier Iris 3 : Grand Phantasm
  • Beyond Good & Evil
  • Devil May Cry
  • Final Fantasy X (EU)
  • Final Fantasy XII (EU)
  • Gran Turismo 4 : The real driving simulator
  • Kingdom Hearts (EU)
  • Kingdom Hearts 2
  • Odin Sphere (EU)
  • Saint Seiya : Le Sanctuaire (EU)
  • Star Ocean : Till the End of Time
  • Tekken 5 (EU)
  • Valkyrie Profile 2 : Silmeria
  • Ys : The Ark of Napishtim
  • Zone of the Enders

Sponsored links

ZOE and GT4 may bring some problems. (slow mo, glitches...). THe others will be ok.

Using imgburn to make ISOs is your best bet. It's known to make perfect PS2 Isos
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
Well, I listed GT4 (had it with the console) but it's not my kind of games. So it's not a real problem.

When you say ok, is that true for PAL Games (your location is France, so I suppose it is), and does that mean that I can finish the game that way omitting eventual glitch (like Ar Tonelico and its black lines [ok, that's due to plugin config]).
Using an emulator bring a whole new experience to the playing of PS2 games and of course you could have a memory card for each game too, you have an infinite number of cards Smile

I would say its worth doing. Of course if you cant get a game to run well or there is a problem stopping you progressing further, playing on your PS2 is always the backup option. Also if you have a network adapter on your PS2, you can transfer saves between the two. Technology is awesome isnt it? xD

I would however ISO your games with imgburn as suggested above, itll work wonders Smile

Have fun!
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

The console sure has an Ethernet port, but I don't know for the other part. I did not modchip my PS2 as I did not have the interest in it (all my games were bought, why would I ?) and even for more legitimate reasons like playing US Game, I did not try to find some that would interest me (well, you see my game list ? Only three of them are finished !)

If there exists some simple method (what I read require a Swap Read CD or whatever its name), I'm pretty well for it; that would allow me to take back my Ar Tonelico save games, as well as Ys, but for the rest...
Id recommend playing on the PCSX2 due to the fact if your computer is fast enough you can improve the graphics and make them look like if they were HD collections for the ps3.
(05-08-2012, 08:01 PM)NoDataFound Wrote: The console sure has an Ethernet port, but I don't know for the other part. I did not modchip my PS2 as I did not have the interest in it (all my games were bought, why would I ?) and even for more legitimate reasons like playing US Game, I did not try to find some that would interest me (well, you see my game list ? Only three of them are finished !)

If there exists some simple method (what I read require a Swap Read CD or whatever its name), I'm pretty well for it; that would allow me to take back my Ar Tonelico save games, as well as Ys, but for the rest...

Indeed, i have swap magic and the flip lid and it works very well! another option is FreeMCBoot Smile
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Quote:Indeed, i have swap magic and the flip lid and it works very well! another option is FreeMCBoot Smile
Can you confirm me if, in case of memory card backup, I only need the Swap Magic CD ?
There seems to be a myriad of accessories coming with it, related to backup/import DVD boot, which is not my case (more over if I go 100% PCSX2); and if I can avoid juggling with my PSTwo, that would be better for me.

(On a side note, I don't want to juggle with my PSTwo cause I've had experience with my Nintendo DS Lite, that I tried to repair [R button broken, left/right arrow hard to press, ...], but soon enough understood that it would not be possible Tongue Not that I cared for it, but well ... Laugh)