Silent Hill: Origins/S.M. - FMV upscaling glitches
All latest May's PCSX2 revisions has been brought nasty bugs into the upscalig mechanisms for all MPEG video of Silent Hill: Origins and Silent Hill: Shattered Memories (no matter what's version of these ones). When we're in Hardware mode and setting any "Custom" value of "D3D internal resolution", we get screen flickering, popping, dissappearing and even emulator crashes on playing any game's FMV. No matter what OpenGL or D3D11 version used, no matter which emulator settings are. The only integer #xNative values seems to be work as intended now, although before I always set my monitor's 1920x1080 as D3D-res, and I never got some deals with it. Sadly I can't record videos, so I hope you understand my point.

Testing system: OS Win7x64, Core i5-760, GeForce GTX 560Ti Video (drivers are latest) and 8 GB of RAM.

Sponsored links

This is why all these builds are beta and only for testing. If you want stable versions, use 1.4.0.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
Unfortunately custom resolution is an awful hack. So it would likely be removed on the future.
Quote:I always set my monitor's 1920x1080 as D3D-res
Note: it doesn't do what you think. I can tell you that internal rendering of the game won't be 1920x1080.
It's obviously a serious issue, especially if it crashes PCSX2, but custom resolutions aren't recommended. You're better off using native scaling resolutions.
Yes I don't like the crash neither. But priority is to fix GSdx first.
Quote: Note: it doesn't do what you think. I can tell you that internal rendering of the game won't be 1920x1080.

Maybe yes, but on games with progressive scan it always got maximum sharpness without performance losses. Some games uses 512x native horizontal resolution, so there are no acceptable sizes for 1920x monitors (f.e. only 1536x1536 or 2048x2048), and it's quietly visible by sharpness loss (because of twice rescaling), and worse for video performance because of processing excess pixels. Whatever it is, I guess the custom resolution strongly needs to be fixed. Disabling this at all is NOT the solution.

p.s. I also think it would be nice to add option "by window size" to custom scaling, so the GSdx plugin would always set the monitor or window size resolution automatically if is has selected. This option exists in Dolphin emulator as well...
Let's be honest what you need is a floating scaling factor not custom resolution.

Quote:visible by sharpness loss (because of twice rescaling)
I think it is due to the downscale to fit your screen resolution. It will blur edge, it is an Anti Aliasing effect. You still have a rescaling on the Y axis (depends on the game). Hum, there is another downscale in the texture cache (likely done to support CR in first place) that I hope to remove.

I'm sorry but custom resolution can't work with GS emulation. CR hypothesis is that game framebuffer got the same size as the (CRTC) screen size. It is sometimes true but not always. It creates various bugs.
Quote:I'm sorry but custom resolution can't work with GS emulation. CR hypothesis is that game framebuffer got the same size as the (CRTC) screen size. It is sometimes true but not always. It creates various bugs.

Let's be honest - using custom resolution never crashed emulator before on every game I tried (and I tried much). So it's bug already, and it's needed to be fixed. And I'm pretty sure that these FMV glitches are connected to it.
Or it just worked because some other bug existed which is now fixed. Don't try to be a smartass when you don't know what you are talking about from a coding perspective. You can use older builds if it's so important to you
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(05-19-2016, 07:50 PM)Psycho-A Wrote: Let's be honest - using custom resolution never crashed emulator before on every game I tried (and I tried much). So it's bug already, and it's needed to be fixed. And I'm pretty sure that these FMV glitches are connected to it.

As gregory said:

Quote:CR hypothesis is that game framebuffer got the same size as the (CRTC) screen size

Whereas, Native scaling uses a very big framebuffer (around double the size of output citcuit). Hence, when the renderer allocates lots of useless framebuffers, native scaling is even more prone to crash Wink