Silent Hill origins - better than nothing
Hi guys, with this hack (see screenshots) you can paly SHO - the emulation isn't perfect, but the game is playable.
Remember to unlock hacks option in the gsdx.ini.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I5 - 2320 @ 3,0 Ghz - 8 GbyteDDR2 1333 Mhz - Geforce 8800 GTS 512 Mbyte - Win 7x64 - Samsung 32" TV HD-Ready
Uomo saggio il cielo aiuta.

Sponsored links

Good finding Spike1977. That suggest a proper thread could be started to treat similar issues in other games too.

Still such thread should provide mechanisms that allow easy search for specific games and criteria to input the entries.

The skipdraw hack is a doubled edge resource that can help in one specific game and harm hardly in another case. The first step is to understand even if roughly how it works.

Each number there refers to a specific layer which is left not rendered, it's neither cumulative not represents an amount. The issue happens when the game design is such that the emulator (the plugin in this specific case) can't translate and deal with it correctly so avoiding that entire layer can help things. On the other hand it harms another game that is correctly rendered and can harm heavily, for example removing part or the whole HUD, menu and so on.

With that in mind, the offset hack and Skipdraw are "per case" hacks and that's the main reason it's access is hidden and must be exposed in the ini (which implies knowing what is being done).

Entries in such thread should be put only after an extensive and methodical testing where is observed what would be missing when the entire layer is gone, and if found some issue, it should be stated, it could be preferable over the original problem.

At each build the emulator corrects things (albeit can break a few other) in many games, so, once it's not necessary anymore for "that" game, the entry must be marked as corrected in not ambiguous and visible way (I think it better than simply removing it).

Another case where this kind of hack helps marvelously is the Xenosaga III, where the "offset hack" and "Skipdraw 4" enhances the cutscenes and remove the flawed floors under DX10.

Finally, saying the GSDX.ini must be modified to access the hack is not enough, what is needed to be done is > copy and input the following line at it's end:

Allowhacks=1

Good luck.

PS: Notice how the layer level (that number in it) changes in each case. One trying to workaround a game issue (layer wise) should experiment with number hanging from 1 to a max value, and I confess being in a void about what is that max... in practice if nothing is accomplished until 8 or 9, another solution should be seek.
Imagination is where we are truly real
Guys,what about fix for SH: Origins and SH: Shattered Memories? Something new? :> Is there any chance for this patch?
Patch for what?
Game looks almost perfect with a (Software) renderer, in a hardware renderer it's either the broken shadows or no shadows at all with skipdraw and that's about it.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
on my opinion.......every SH game emulated (with pcsx2 or other consoles emulators) presents black stripes in darkness scenes when emulated via D3D. Probably is an effect not emulated (actually) with directx libraries. oh, however, my english is bad, i know i know. :-)
I5 - 2320 @ 3,0 Ghz - 8 GbyteDDR2 1333 Mhz - Geforce 8800 GTS 512 Mbyte - Win 7x64 - Samsung 32" TV HD-Ready
Uomo saggio il cielo aiuta.
(03-27-2011, 06:23 AM)Shadow Lady Wrote: Patch for what?
(03-27-2011, 06:23 AM)Shadow Lady Wrote: in a hardware renderer it's either the broken shadows or no shadows

[Image: AF58A1541150FE6D1A979A_Large.jpg]

(not my screen)

Smile

(03-27-2011, 06:23 AM)Shadow Lady Wrote: Game looks almost perfect with a (Software) renderer
Perfect? With native resolution? -.- OK, I finished SH: O with soft mode, but game looked ugly. Playing with skipraw in this game isn't good. Must be a flashlight and shadows. It's Silent Hill, not a normal game Smile
1) I said ALMOST perfect.
2) Native resolution is how it played in the PS2, how would that not be perfect? In fact I bet if you play it in software mode on a normal TV it'd look exactly the same as it was in the PS2.
3) You're completely right, it's not a normal game... not a normal silent hill either, I think it was the worst game in the saga actually (they all started going downhill after Silent Hill 3) Tongue2

I don't think you understand how patches work or we're thinking different things Tongue2
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
ah guys just wait until forever like me for a miracle Laugh I still haven't finished Origins. I KNOW it will be fixed someday Tongue
People only know what you have told them.
(03-27-2011, 03:54 PM)Shadow Lady Wrote: I think it was the worst game in the saga actually

I think that SH:4 and "HomeCUMming" were the worst Tongue2

(03-27-2011, 03:54 PM)Shadow Lady Wrote: (they all started going downhill after Silent Hill 3) Tongue2

True.